Options

Than you email/ follow up

after the interview how long should i wait to send a follow up e-mail ?

and what should i say in it?

Comments

• Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I make it a habit to send it the same day. Use it as a tool to thank them for the opportunity as well as sell yourself even more if you feel like you missed some points in the interview.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I send it the same day, unless it's an afternoon interview, in which case I send it the next morning. That way they're thinking about you all day! icon_thumright.gif I think the generally accepted rule is "within 24 hours".
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    What should i say in it thought like literal words i wont copy and paste i just need a idea
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can say that you liked the position and look forward to starting with them. You can say things like - After discussing the daily responsibilities of the role, I believe I will be a great fit because I bring to the table..... . Thank them for their time and tell them they can call you for any other queries they may have. Keep it short and simple. Any longer than 1-2 small(ish) paragraphs and it may end up barely glanced at.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    xzaxza Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    feel free

Dear Mr. Crane,
    I enjoyed speaking with you today about the flamingo position.

The position seems to be a perfect match for my interest and skills. In addition to my enthusiasm, I bring to the position strong people skills, the desire to learn, and the open availability you're looking for.

I appreciate you taking the time to interview me, I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you regarding this position.

Sincerely,
    Alan Shore.
  • Options
    My most recent one went something like this. They aren't always the same, but they follow this general pattern.

Dear Mr X.,

Thank you for the interview yesterday. It was great speaking with you and your enthusiasm for ABC Company has me excited about becoming a member of your team. I am glad I was able to share with you my passion for networking/security/juggling. I will also bring my talents and thirst for knowledge to the position and look forward to growing my skills with ABC Company.

I appreciate your time and am very interested in working with you/your team. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,
    (My name here)
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I'd like to chime in with a personal experience.

My follow-up email to the CEO of the company that I interviewed with in a previous position is what sealed the deal. I really loved what I heard and saw in the interview and shared that in the email.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I cannot ever recall ever having (or needing) to send a follow-up email to any of my job interviews in the past. My advice would be to prepare to the max for your interview(s) and "knock it out of the park" - don't give them any flicker of a reason to NOT hire you. You really have to sell yourself. Make them believe in your skills so they are as excited and enthusiastic as you are during your interview. This way you can turn the table on the situation and have them offering you the position during the interview. It happened to me, true story.

This may not always work but it has been my behavior and just how I operate. From reading all the posts above, it seems the follow-up email might be necessary if your interview skills aren't the best.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    From reading all the posts above, it seems the follow-up email might be necessary if your interview skills aren't the best.

It's more like putting the icing on the cake. Has nothing to do with your interview skills or if the interview went well or not. Just a formal follow up thank you and letting them know you are serious about the position.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    It's more like putting the icing on the cake. Has nothing to do with your interview skills or if the interview went well or not. Just a formal follow up thank you and letting them know you are serious about the position.

with that said, i would plan on having a stellar interview and forget about the follow-up email. Again, just my personal experience and opinion.
  • Options
    I was almost hired on the spot at my last interview and I still sent a follow-up. There's literally no downside to sending one, and it might be that little bit of effort that sets you apart from someone else, so why not send one? It's not like they take much time to write.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    with that said, i would plan on having a stellar interview and forget about the follow-up email. Again, just my personal experience and opinion.

Why not both? That's what I do!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    that's fine. People are different. If I were really wanting to impress my potential manager(s), I would simply prepare some presentation for them (prezi.com is good for this, and it is free), show them how I can apply my skills that are listed on my resume. Again, don't give them a reason NOT to hire you, that's the key. Hit on the areas in which you know they are really needy and show them how awesome you really are. Oh and don't forget to shower, smell good, look nice, and all that appearance stuff (it weighs heavily).

The way I see it is these people are lacking a particular skill-set / position, so, they are reaching out to you (candidate) for help. Don't view it as "please hire me because I need a job" - and I'm not implying you are. I'm saying, go in with loads of confidence (not arrogance) and the thought that this employer is actually "wanting" you. Again, knock it out of the park.

Let me find the prezi presentation I used for my current job, to give you an idea... I'll edit this post in a minute.

Here's the original prezi i used for my current job as an application security analyst: http://prezi.com/oclno-mimu8q/qa-for-java/?kw=view-oclno-mimu8q&rc=ref-10987386

Nothing too complicated really. They ate it up though...and let me clarify that I went through 4 total interviews, this last one was a face-to-face interview when they offered me the job.