Options

Network Security Career Plans

Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
As you can probably guess by the title of the thread :-p I want to pursue a career in network security, possibly in either intrusion handling or intrusion analysis. I plan on enrolling in the B.S. IT - Security degree at WGU in the fall of 2013. I have spoken to many qualified people on these forums, and they said the best foundation to start out with cert wise is as follows:

A+
Network+
Security+
CCENT
CCNA
CCNA:Sec

They also recommend pursuing Linux+, Juniper certs (JNCIA-Junos, JNCIS-Sec) I also thought SSCP might be beneficial to me in the career goals. Any other certs you guys would recommend? If I stay on my current path as indicated above (A+, N+ etc.) when would be the best time to pursue the other certs I'm interested in? (Linux+, Juniper, SSCP) should I wait until I graduate with bachelors from WGU? or pursue them on my free time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I recommend that you try to play with as much stuff as you can such as wireshark, nmap, snort, intangle and other security related things that you might find useful. I'm not trying to get off topic.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    As far as when to pursue the certs, my advice would be as soon as your time/budget permits. It'd make more sense to do them now before and while in school, as your knowledge will be kept freshest by reinforcing what is learned in class.

Now, you also said that "any advice would be greatly appreciated" so I'm taking liberty to go a bit futher. I tend to over-simplify things. So, please pardon me if I'm making this simpler than it really is.

This is how I see it:

1/3: Your current plans have you learning about Hardware, OS, Networking, and Security:
    Hardware (A+)
    OS (A+)
    Networking (Network+|CCENT|CCNA)
    Security (Security+|CCNA:Sec)

2/3: The revised plan (if you follow all the recommendations), has you learning about Hardware, OS, Networking, and Security:
    Hardware (A+)
    OS (A+|Linux+)
    Networking (Network+|CCENT|CCNA|JNCIA-Junos)
    Security (Security+|SSCP|CCNA:Sec|JNCIS-Sec)

3/3: I would argue that it might be VERY beneficial for you to make sure to sprinkle in two other EXTREMELY important skills:
    Software (i.e., coding)
    Virtualization

I am not saying that you have to certify in these areas, but I am definitely saying that you should not be ignorant of them.

It should go without saying, but to truly understand where computing is going, it's going to take learning how it all works together on a high level. I think paying attention to these additional two areas (software/virtualization) will help a lot.

In order to do virtualization well, it will require a strong understanding of Hardware, OS, Networking, and Security. As you look at the opportunities presented by the cloud, it makes sense to understand and work with automated solutions to manage your hardware, OS, networking, and security.

This discussion of virtualization bridges over to software. Most every interaction a common, everday user has with computing is via an application. This message is composed in notepad. I'm accessing the web site via Firefox. The reply page is php. I could go on. But, the idea is that applications are what the end user sees. The applications are where the value is realized by the end customer. Please note that I am not attempting to trivialize your line of pursuit, as I have done plenty of infrastructure work.

What I am attempting to do is to broaden your horizon. Doing security well will require knowledge of a couple more additional areas. I'm not saying that you have to be a "1337 c0d3r" and code the next big thing, and I'm not saying you have to be Scott Lowe when it comes to virtualization. However, I am saying that you should not be totally ignorant in these areas, if you want to be successful as a security professional.

Also, it goes without mention that all of this is about managing software and hardware, basically. What about leading and managing people? How do you plan to work on that? I'm asking these last couple of questions to myself, too, so don't feel put on the spot.

Hope this helps to get you thinking. :)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    If you are going to do CCNA then I wouldn't waste your money on Network+
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Sledge.Sledge. Member Posts: 109
    dbrink wrote: »
    If you are going to do CCNA then I wouldn't waste your money on Network+
    Agreed.

Regards,

Sledge
    WGU Alum - BS:IT Security
    Active Certs: CCNA:Security, CompTia x 3 (Security+, Project+, A+), MCTS (70-680), CCENT, CCNA: Routing & Switching, CIW x 3 (Javascript, Database, Web Design)
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    I agree with the other members about the Network+ cert. I would just study the material to get a basic understanding of networking then move onto ccnna material.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. When do you guys think would be a good time to pursue my Linux+ cert?
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Madmd5 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the advice. When do you guys think would be a good time to pursue my Linux+ cert?

I don't know if I would go for full cert unless you want to pursue a Linux position. Prepare like you would take exam to get the knowledge though. That is what I will do after I finish the CCNA later this year. That's my opinion.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    It's highly advisable that you study the Network+ material, so also taking the exam only seems logical as it would be good resume "pad", IMO.
  • Options
    thank you @Keener and @xyro for your advice. I prefer windows OS, i actually have no experiences in Linux at all haha yikes..so I'll decide after I at least study the material of N+ and Linux+ if i want to take the exams or not.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    No problem ... & good thought - 1 step at a time. There is a lot I've studied that I didn't take the exams for. I just wanted the knowledge at the time & wasn't interested in being "recognized" for having it.