Options

resume critque

Hi I am currently a college graduate who is trying to look for my first information technology job. I am currently looking for entry level position that deals with databases and I want to currently working towards of being a database administrator(I feel its easy but challenging for me to get into more that software developer). what job should I get first in which it would help me to gain experience since I only have a year experience in working with databases through school projects and a internship (I live in nj) OBJECTIVE:
To obtain a position utilizing strong technical skills, educational background, and ability to work well with others in a team setting
TECHINICAL SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS
Programming Languages: Java, PHP, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, JQuery, C/C++, C#, Visual Basic, J2ee, SQL
Software Applications: Eclipse, Dreamweaver, WebMatrix, Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, Textpad, Crystal Reports
Database Management: MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Ubuntu
Other Technical Skills: System Analysis & Design concepts, PC Imaging, Basic Networking Concepts, Basic Troubleshooting
RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
NJ Community Development Corporation Paterson, NJ
IT Assistant 3/2012 to 5/2012
Organized the Paterson Family Center (PFC) Database by exporting the database from Excel to Access
Planned, designed, and updated the PFC Database by using the database normalization techniques and query wizard/SQL commands in Access to create new tables
Bloomfield College Bloomfield, NJ
Student -Database Project 1/2012 to 5/2012
Planned, analyzed and designed a web phonebook application
Coded, tested, and debugged the web application
Performed maintenance on the web phonebook application and presented to the class
Student-Applied Systems Development Project 9/2011 to 12/2011
Worked with a team to create a school registration application for Bloomfield College including writing the requirements and using cases documents, Gantt Chart, and business documents to design and analyze it
Implemented and tested the application program to see if the program ran without any issues
Performed maintenance on the school registration application and presented it to the audience
IT Assistant 5/2011 to 8/2011
Organized the IT room to make sure equipment was properly placed
Assisted the IT technician with setting up the computers around different buildings
Learned about Ethernet slicing, repairing computers and printers, and basic networking and PC imaging
WORK EXPERIENCE
McCarter & English LLP,  Newark, NJ
Operations/Mailroom Clerk 6/2008 Present
Process and sort incoming and outgoing first class mail, FedEx, UPS, Eastern Connection packages, and Express Mail for attorneys
Perform office duties including checking supplies for office and photocopying and faxing documents
EDUCATION
Bachelor of Science, December 2012, Bloomfield College, Bloomfield, NJ
Major: Computer Information Systems

Comments

• Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say remove arbitrary technologies that have obvious implications to sub-technologies. What I'm saying is remove CSS (due to you already having HTML listed and the fact that employers should not beat you up if you don't know CSS anyways) and I would remove jQuery, personally, because if you really have all the experience listed, namely Java / php / SQL, then I would assume you are already familiar with what jQuery is and how to implement it.

Also, the "Software" section doesn't really matter as things like Visual Studio and other IDE's for development are normally available when you get a programming job. They (the dev team for instance) should automatically know you have some experience (or idea) of what an IDE is, so, this is also implied.

Finally, be more specific with your objective. From the way it looks now, there are literally thousands of people out there that have that exact tagline. The reviewer needs to know where your passion lies. This is one reason why I removed my tagline altogether (and it won't hurt you to have nothing there; I'm living proof)
  • Options
    programmer24programmer24 Banned Posts: 122
    how do I get into database field can I start with data analyst and working my way toward becoming a database administator
  • Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if that's what you really want to do then sure.
  • Options
    programmer24programmer24 Banned Posts: 122
    hey thank you also I graduated by the way like I just want to know how I can I gain exp in the database field