Options

Value: 70-685 vs 70-680

j4rt02j4rt02 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Which is more valuable in terms of job placement (i.e. proving competency)?

I understand that both have different purposes, but does anyone have that moment in an interview or workplace situation where there were like, "Man I'm glad I had 70-685/680"?

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've found both to be useful. They do cover different material, but combined, it gives a good Windows 7 foundation.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    Either exam by itself is an MCTS. Pass both exams and be designated an MCITP. MCITP trumphs a MCTS.
  • Options
    Go4HikeGo4Hike Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's a good question, and I look forward to hearing more thoughts on this.

Someone who has completely finished their course of study for both is probably better able to answer your question, but my impression is ... go with the 70-680 first, because the deployment, imaging & migration information that is covered is really good to know, and I see there could be need for that in addition to the desktop support role the 70-685 prepares one for.

In addition, passing the 70-680 provides MCTS, a cert all on its own. I don't believe the 70-685 on its own qualifies as a certification, unless it's in combination with the 70-680. With both exams under your belt you will be MCSA/MCITP (same thing, new name & old name). So, while that doesn't address your question in terms of real world value for job placement, if you are also focusing on getting certifications under your belt, then you'll want the 70-680 first anyway, to have that cert already as you pursue the broader MCSA cert. I passed the 70-680 two years ago, learned a ton, but admittedly have forgotten much of it. Now I'm going after the 70-685 and so far it seems to cover a lot of the same material minus the imaging/migration material, and even reviewing the skills being measured for each, I maintain that impression. However, like I said, I’m only just studying for the 70-685 now & I haven't sat the exam.

Since you've already got your Server 2008 AD you have some background already that will help when studying one or both of these. I think if I were to do it over again, I’d have gone for the 70-680 and then moved immediately on to the 70-685 with little delay between.

Last thing I’ll mention, you're going to find a whole lot more study material designed specifically to cover the 70-680 than the 70-685. Good luck.
  • Options
    j4rt02j4rt02 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I second Go4Hike's suggestion of the 680 first. I revised the 70-685 first, but realised when I was starting my 680 how that was a better choice.