Options

TechExams Online Practice Test OSI Model

rebelyellrebelyell Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I take the Network+ Exam in two days and am starting to worry. I took the 60 question practice test on the TechExams site and did fine. Then I took the 30 question test on OSI and puked. I just finished an instructor led course on N10-003 Network+ developed by ElementK and in their course material, on p.241 I quote, "TCP/IP has two services that operate in the Application layer of the OSI mode, ...SMTP and POP3." But the question in the online exam asks which layer SMTP operates and the answer given as correct is the Presentation layer! What's up with that. Which one should I trust, the instructor led course and materials ($1250 worth) or the online exam? Someone please advise as to which is correct and why. It's getting down to the wire and too late for me to start questioning my own confidence in knowing this stuff. Thanks in advance for any assistance...

Comments

• Options
    tb0932tb0932 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I understood the following (I don't have my notes in front of me today as I put them aside after my exam yesterday, but I'll do my best to remember):
    Application - FTP, SMTP, POP3, etc (the applications you use)
    Presentation - Encryption, Compression, extensions like .mp3, etc
    Session - Keeps track of open connections
    Transport - TCP, UDP, SPX, etc.
    Network - IP, IPX, RIP, OSPF, Router, packets, etc...
    Data Link - Switch, WAP, Bridge, NIC, frames,
    Physical - NIC, bits, Hub, cables, etc.

I can't remember now where ICMP, SNMP (Data Link?), Telnet (App layer?), SSH, and others fall into the model. Isn't it weird how one day you're mind is full of networking details, and the next you're stumped!

Best of luck with the test. Know your port numbers and wireless frequencies/ranges/speeds and cabling speeds/distances/media/connectors. They represented a good chunk of the questions in my test.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    But the question in the online exam asks which layer SMTP operates and the answer given as correct is the Presentation layer!
    Are you sure you are talking about our online OSI exam? I'm sure it lists SMTP as an Application layer protocol.
  • Options
    rebelyellrebelyell Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to all who replied. I just took the OSI practice test online again, just to get to the page with the SMTP question. I had intended to post a screenshot of the information, but this time I answered Application and it was correct. So either the answer was updated since yesterday or I've been studying so much I'm beginning to hallucinate, which seems more and more a viable possibility. I'll be so glad when all this is over, ...glad that is, if I pass. I'm supposed to call and schedule to test for tomorrow, but my self-confidence has taken an enormous hit. I'm going to put in a couple more days of studying and try it on Monday. Thanks again for your support and assistance...
  • Options
    pipearcepipearce Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All

I read Rebelyell's post before any of the replies and did a google search. Depending on what site I visited I found SMTP on the Application Layer, the Presentation Layer and in one case on the Application, Preseantation and Session Layers at the same time.

This stuff is not always an exact science!!

Cheers, Paul
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    rebelyell wrote:
    I just took the OSI practice test online again, just to get to the page with the SMTP question. I had intended to post a screenshot of the information, but this time I answered Application and it was correct. So either the answer was updated since yesterday or I've been studying so much I'm beginning to hallucinate, which seems more and more a viable possibility.
    I'm not the kinda guy who doesn't admit mistakes; of course the question was not updated yesterday. There are hundreds of people who bought the Special Edition TechNotes, in which the OSI quiz is also present, and I'm sure they all list SMTP as an Application layer protocol.

Also, another thing I didn't update yesterday:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/osimodel.shtml

I haven't had any reports on our test engine listing the incorrect answer because of a bug or anything, and considering the OSI quiz has been taken by tens of thousands of people, I doubt it was a technical issue.

So, no beer for you until the exam ;)

Good luck!
    This stuff is not always an exact science!!
    Very true. The OSI model is a 'model' of the reality, it's not synonym with reality. Many network technologies including devices and protocols perform functions that operate on multiple layers. In general though, SMTP is considered an Application layer protocol.
    I just finished an instructor led course on N10-003 Network+ developed by ElementK and in their course material, on p.241 I quote, "TCP/IP has two services that operate in the Application layer of the OSI mode, ...SMTP and POP3." ........ Which one should I trust, the instructor led course and materials ($1250 worth) or the online exam?
    TCP/IP has a lot more than two 'services' that operate at the Application layer. Regardless, you should never rely on a single source for any exam.