Options

Home lab

ciscogeraldciscogerald Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I just started studying for my CCNA today and I want to start a home lab. Now I am very limited with my budget, $300 CDN/$200 US. I was thinking of starting with a 2500 series router and a 1924 switch. I looked at Ciscokits and they don't have any 2950 switches. I'm tempted to buy off ebay but I want stuff that works.

After my CCNA I want to go for sec+ then CCSP. I will finally end my cisco studies with CCIE Sec. I am only on a limited budget right now because of lack of work, but in the future I will expand my lab to add PIX and more routers. Should I get some dumb terminals too?

Gerald

Comments

• Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will need more than one router to build a home lab. Look for a couple of 2500 series they can be had pretty cheap. A 2900 series switch will run you a bit more than $200 US. Get the routers, get familiar with them, connect them break them and then when you have some more money get a switch.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cherper is right.

I would recommend getting two 2501 or 2503 (or mixed). In my opinion the 19xx switches will get you nowhere. They do not run IOS so you can't really do the interesting stuff.

For the beginning you should start with the routers and then get something like a 2912 switch to expand the lab.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    Even though you do not like ebay... it may be the only place that you can get two routers and a switch for less than 200 dollars. If you buy it from a store whether it be an e-store or bricks & mortars... it will still cost you well over 200 dollars.

I have purchased many things off of ebay and 99 out of 100 times they work just as well as buying it new. Especially routers and switches.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I want to set up a lab myself, but I intend to learn A+ first.
    I could start setting up a lab myself over a long period of time, in order to be ready when I finished the A+, but how do I know if the devices I intend to buy for this lab work? You still have to give your feedback and have only a brief period of time to file a complaint in case something doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Keep in mind that testing a device isn't that easy when you haven't even started using one in the first place.

Greetings.
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    You can either pay the full price by buying new or buy on ebay and pay for used. Is there a risk... of course but then by paying by paypal... you can cancel or stop the payment and then file a case. So, there is safety in mind.

For example, I was contacted for a sweet deal on a 3550-24 Layer 3 switch for 1150 and pay another 50 dollars for COD charges. Yet, this is outside of ebay and he wanted me to pay via money order or cashier check. I declined bc the person can send me a shell with broken parts and I would of paid 1200 dollars and would of known after I opened the package.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    quixotic

as you seem to know a bit about switches, Im going to add another switch to my lab, I cant afford a 3550!!! I already have a 2950 and a 5000, I dont know wether to add another 2950-12T or a 3524XL as I can get them both for the same price, I did a bit of research but the only main difference I can find is that 2950's dont support ISL any ideas?
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.