Options

Boson 8.0 CCNP Path

Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

Anyone using Netsim and the CCNP labs from Boson? For $575 I'm curious to know if you think the product is worth the time/investment.

Thanks in advance.
Hatch

Comments

• Options
    Dude... I didn't go to your link... looked over you forum posts... all 9 were this particular spam.... NO THANKS!!! (REPORTED keep the brackets..)

Anyone out there using Boson to prepare or have used them in the past?

Thanks
    Hatch
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'm using Boson for their practice tests for ROUTE and SWITCH. (I purposely chose not to get one for TSHOOT.)

I don't have much experience with the NetSim product (except in parts that are used during the sims that fire during Boson's exam preps.)

Just keep in mind that it is a simulation.

If you're going to school for Cisco Networking Technology, you should be able to get on hands at school, correct? One big thing is the hands-on portion.

I just did a Skillsoft test to see how well I knew SWITCH, and scored 72%. Anything I hadn't done hands-on labbing with, I was exposed on, as I was asked specific commands about show output and configurations, that I wouldn't know, unless I'd actually gone through the Lab Manual completely. (I haven't gone though it completely.)

My score revealed that I was "correct or partially correct" on 46/52 questions, which doesn't seem so bad, but realizing the score is only 72% shows a lot of weaknesses that can only be properly shored up by going through the Lab Manual.

If you asked about their test practice exams, I am fully confident in those. As far as the simulator, I have no idea.

You can use dynamips for routing, and get a few switches for your MLS practice. That might turn out to be very comparable to 575. Heck, if you only get 3550, you should definitely be able to get 4 for the price of 575. (If you get 3560, then those cost a bit more still.)

However, as I was alluding to earlier, if you can get this through your school, then that would be the advised route.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    I'm using Boson for their practice tests for ROUTE and SWITCH. (I purposely chose not to get one for TSHOOT.)

I don't have much experience with the NetSim product (except in parts that are used during the sims that fire during Boson's exam preps.)

Just keep in mind that it is a simulation.

If you're going to school for Cisco Networking Technology, you should be able to get on hands at school, correct? One big thing is the hands-on portion.

I just did a Skillsoft test to see how well I knew SWITCH, and scored 72%. Anything I hadn't done hands-on labbing with, I was exposed on, as I was asked specific commands about show output and configurations, that I wouldn't know, unless I'd actually gone through the Lab Manual completely. (I haven't gone though it completely.)

My score revealed that I was "correct or partially correct" on 46/52 questions, which doesn't seem so bad, but realizing the score is only 72% shows a lot of weaknesses that can only be properly shored up by going through the Lab Manual.

If you asked about their test practice exams, I am fully confident in those. As far as the simulator, I have no idea.

You can use dynamips for routing, and get a few switches for your MLS practice. That might turn out to be very comparable to 575. Heck, if you only get 3550, you should definitely be able to get 4 for the price of 575. (If you get 3560, then those cost a bit more still.)

However, as I was alluding to earlier, if you can get this through your school, then that would be the advised route.

Thank you for all the info. I do have access at school... and I will take advantage of the equipment. The school I'm attending is only setup for CCNA level teaching. They are expanding some for CCNAS at the moment. Odds are I will make the move to another school in the fall to take advantage of the CCNP classes and equipment. I think I'm going to pick up the Boson CCNP package just to keep me moving forward with my studies. I like they include all the CCNA labs when you purchase the CCNP package.

Thanks again,
    Hatch
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    Boson's product for TSHOOT is top notch. I really enjoy troubleshooting anyways and found myself staying up until 2 in the morning because I was so consumed.
  • Options
    nerdydad wrote: »
    Boson's product for TSHOOT is top notch. I really enjoy troubleshooting anyways and found myself staying up until 2 in the morning because I was so consumed.

Many thanks for the info. I'm thinking I will pickup the CCNP pack... should be beneficial.

Thanks again,
    Hatch
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've always been a big fan of Boson stuff. I think their simulator tests are challenging and provide good information. I purchased the ExSIM-MAX for ICND2 when I took it and it taught me a lot. I also enjoy their tests as they are laid out very similar to Cisco tests. I have also used the simulator software for ICND2 level stuff. I enjoyed it very much when I was studying for ICND2 because at the time I was not aware of GNS3 or had my own equipment. I will probably stick to GNS3 for my simulation / emulation type stuff but will more than likely purchase the NP ExSIM-MAX exams again to practice test questions.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi