Options

Best way to filter IPX traffic?

astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
I hope this is in the correct category, I was going to put in in CCNA but it really has nothing to do with certification so I think this is the best spot...

At my work we have a ton of IPX traffic flowing through a switched network and we are being asked to filter it from a network standpoint. At one point they were using IPX in their network, but no longer need to, so they still have a lot of machines spewing out IPX traffic. We have removed the IPX routing commands from our distribution switches but after running a short 10 minute wireshark capture I'm still getting a good bit of IPX traffic from multiple devices.

I'm assuming we'll need some vlan access maps, if so would it be better to have these on the distribution switches or on all of the access switches? If we only put them on the distribution switches I'd imagine there would still be a lot of IPX traffic on the access switches with those devices still connected. What would be the best way to filter out this traffic?

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A mac access-list matching types 0x8137 and 0x8138 applied to a vlan access-map should do it. You have to know what you're doing with a vlan filter or you will drop the rest of your L2 traffic, which is a Very Bad Thing™. I would apply it to the access switches to cut it completely off.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%