Options

Resume Critique/General Advice

DNMDNM Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Alright, here is my situation:

I posted here about a year ago about being stuck in my desktop support position for years. About a year ago I ended up getting a slight promotion. It was basically a title upgrade to a "senior" position the company created for me, along with a slight pay bump.

Here is the thread for more background
http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/75241-anyone-else-stuck-hardware-tech-desktop-support-role.html

One of the perks to my promotion was that I would get admin access to the cisco switches in the firm. Really, the only thing I have done with the switches, aside from self study, was run reports on unused switch ports, and change which vlans certain ports run on. It's very rare that I actually have to do login to the Cisco console.

In my updated job description I was also supposed to get involve with the Thin Client implementation throughout the firm, but in reality, I only support end user machines, pretty much the same as the other desktop techs and help desk techs. If there is a problem that resides server side, I have to call the Network Admin to reboot the server, usually.

I am looking for the best means possible to improve my situation. I have attempted to ask for more work before, but was pretty much ignored. Maybe I need to try harder. The other part of me is saying it is time for a change. I am putting my resume out there again and would appreciate any input. I used a paid service a year ago, and since then I only added my experience in my senior position. I am looking for ways to make my new duties, as limited as they may be, stand out.

I am also looking for genuine advice on the situation. I am looking to be proactive from here on out. Yes, I got very complacent with my job. It's easy to in this field, but it's my fault. I want to make that next jump in my career.

I am currently studying for my CCNA and going through the WGU enrollment process. I am going for my Bachelors in Network Administration.

Thanks in advance

Resume will be in the next post.

Comments

• Options
    DNMDNM Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [h=2]Name[/h]Address
    [h=2]Email Address Phone #[/h][h=2][/h]

IT Administrator with longstanding experience leading the design, implementation, and ongoing administration of enterprise network platforms, including servers, workstations, routers, switches, and other peripheral devices. Leads all aspects of IT implementation and support initiatives, including requirements gathering, system specification, development, and final rollout of IT solutions to production environments, including:

• Developed a Thin Client system installation plan throughout the firm operating on an Open Thinclient server that provided the ability to rapidly change the production environment.

• Volunteered to lead the team and become an HP certified repair technician facilitating the on-site handling of warranty service calls, which allowed the firm to be reimbursed for each service call done on site.

CERTIFICATIONS

Network Information Systems Certificate - xxxxxxxx

CompTIA A+/Security+ Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE 2003) Dell & HP Certified

TECHNICAL SKILLS

OPERATING SYTEMS: Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, Windows XP/7/2000, Cisco IOS, Open ThinClient

HARDWARE: Dell, HP, IBM Desktops and Laptops, Scanners, Printers, Fax machines, Structured Cabling, Cisco 2600 series routers
    Software: VMware, Remote Desktop, VNC, Sophos Antivirus, LANDesk, HP Jet Admin, Microsoft Office 2003/2007/2010, Remedy, Visual Asset Manager

MOBILE PLATFORMS: Blackberry Devices, Android Devices, Good Server, Blackberry Enterprise Server

Networking: TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, WINS, NAT, Telnet, SSH, SMTP, Active Directory

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Company Name, City, State May 2012– Present
    Senior Hardware Technician
    • Primary escalation point for unresolved Hardware tickets.
    • Took the lead in installing Thin Client machines and troubleshooting related issues.
    • Configure switch ports and generate reports on network activity to management.
    • Troubleshoot Cisco switch issues.
    • Handle all duties and responsibilities of the previous Hardware Technician position.

Company Name, City, State June 2005 – May 2012
    Hardware Technician
    • Service network and workstation hardware and software platforms, including desktops, laptops, networking devices, printers, and mobile devices used by more than 200 users at an established law firm.
    • Handled escalations of technical issues, receiving trouble tickets and dispatches from the helpdesk group through a Remedy trouble ticketing system.
    • Configure and implement Microsoft operating systems, remote access platforms, and related desktop and network applications.
    • Administer network architectures in alignment with policies governing access rights, global and local group management, maintenance, data security, performance monitoring, user and email account management.
    • Participate in major IT projects, including a firm wide Windows 7 rollout, data migrations and hardware upgrades, and the tracking, commissioning, and decommissioning of network assets.

Company Name, City, State March 2005 - June 2005
    Onsite Technician
    • Delivered onsite technical support of desktops, laptop, and network devices; performed general administration, troubleshooting, and repair of hardware and software platforms.
    • Ensured continuous operation of all network and desktop assets, providing 24/7 on-call support services for all business technology systems.

Company Name, City, State September 2004 – May 2005
    PC Technician
    • Conducted warranty repairs to Dell and IBM PCs and laptops; procured replacement parts, delivered and installed parts, and tested machines according to warranty specifications.
    • Answered service requests from online and other ticketing systems and methods, and responded with remote and onsite technical support of customers’ computer equipment.