Options

With sequester cuts coming is it worth looking for IT jobs for the Federal Gverment ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RanMicRanMic Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Yeah I hear you man. Sure that 120K number is inflated, but with locality, step, and OT, you can have 11s and 12s breaking the 100k mark fairly easily. I know it sucks that hard working GS folks have to face these sort of cuts, but my whole point is that government budget (manpower wise) is way out of hand because it is next to impossible to eliminate people in 100k positions that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I used to work with a GS11 who was hired as a programmer, couldn't program, so they put him updating SharePoint pages through the WYSIWYG. Then you get the attitude, of "Hey if they are going to pay me 90k to drag and drop a few things, I'm never moving!" And then they stay there until they retire, and the gov has to hire someone to do the job they were originally hired for, so now you have 200k in programming manpower and getting 1 person's worth of programming. If they actually went through and eliminated positions and cut some of the dead weight like they said they were going to do in 2011, then you wouldn't have everyone losing out, just the people that deserve it.

Your points are very valid and I have to agree. Like you said, I can find many people in our group we could eliminate and not see a production drop.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    RanMic wrote: »
    Your points are very valid and I have to agree. Like you said, I can find many people in our group we could eliminate and not see a production drop.

We had one and saw a production INCREASE when they left.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    The feds are still hiring... Although if you do get hired in the next few months, expect to be furloughed 1 day a week from mid april to late September. From a defense contract perspective, I'd likely expect cuts between 60 and 90 days when specific programs are targetted for cutbacks and/or ellimination. Of course, I think it depends a lot on how long the contract is good for and when it's due to expire, and how long it's funded for in advance. Good luck.