Options

Tablet remote desktop

bwillfordbwillford Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hopefully someone here has tried or has the means to test this since I don't but I was asked the question:

is it possible to use a tablet to remote desktop into a TS server, run an application and still use the camera on the tablet as a scanner?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    There are numerous apps that allow remote desktop from a smartphone or tablet. I have had to, in a pinch, vpn/rdp into a server while out and about before on my thunderbolt. Not sure if you can use the camera as a scanner though.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    "Is it possible" is such a broad thing.

are you asking if we're aware of software that currently does this?

If it's an RDP session, there is a "high" chance you could find a way to work it,

I say it for this reason:

You have those "Local Resources" that you can utilize, such as Printers, Clipboard, Smart Card, Ports, etc.

I'm thinking the fact that your "Clipboard" can be sent to the remote session would include the possibility of using a local-side captured image and sending it through to the terminal server.

Of course, I can't prove this.

I do know for sure that I worked at a company about 6 years ago, and we had a scanning technology, that would use the little USB scanners, to capture images and send them to the server, and this was with terminal server users.

So, it would seem to possibly work, since, in my opinion, scanners/cameras are kinda similar in functionality.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To my knowledge there is no way to pass hardware through RDP from a non-Windows device to a TS/RDSH.

However, it is possible to transfer files over RDP from any platform, so long as the RDP client supports it. So one would simply need an RDP client that had the functionality to take pictures and transfer them over RDP.

On a x86 Windows 8 tablet, I see feasibility in working more directly with the camera over RDP, but I won't say there's certainty there. It's a big maybe. But transferring files over RDP is 100% possible, so it's just a matter of an RDP client that does it easily for you.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340