HelpDesk Ticketing Systems (recommended)

mufasamufasa Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guy's

i use SpiceWorks for the helpdesk at work but it has several little things about it that have been annoying so been looking for alternatives

hoping you guys could recommend any good ones.

thanks

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    At my previous job we used Numara Footprints, which is now owned by BMC. I was the sys admin for the application so I had very intimate knowledge of its workings and modules, but it is a very good and powerful product OOB.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've used Connectwise, Remedy, and Autotask. Just depends on the size of the organization and what you're trying to do. Out of all, I would say I enjoyed Remedy the most, when it was configured properly.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Customized version of The Enterprise IT Cloud Company | ServiceNow, We used to be on HP Service Manager, which was not great! I've used a number of helpdesk software in the past and this is so far the best one I have used...
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    I have used Remedy and BMC SDE (Service Desk Express). I still prefer Remedy but only if it's configured correctly.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Out of everything I've used, I prefer OTRS. It's open source and can be very, very powerful if correctly configured.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here is what we use now: Issue & Project Tracking Software | Atlassian JIRA

I didn't set it up but it works good for the most part.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    We also use Numara Footprints. Its a great product, very customizable, and powerful. Depending on the size of your organization, you might look at their Track-IT which is a slimmed down version of Footprints.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I overall enjoyed Connectwise, but there are probably better ones. I have hated every other system. They use HEAT at my current job, and I loathe having to do anything in it. I basically wouldn't do anything that wasn't a ticket in ConnectWise at my last job, and now I do everything outside of the ticketing system because of HEAT.

For me, the perfect ticketing system is basically everything to everyone. By that, I mean it has CMDB, timesheet, projects, billing, and change management integrated, and can be customized and secured so that different teams (e.g. helpdesk, network admin, etc.) can use it differently. ConnectWise was this system, but it was better at some things than others and setting it up right was a lot of work, practically a full time job. The other thing ConnectWise had was a lot of automation. You could basically have it do almost anything with tickets based on many different factors, which made driving SLA adherence much easier.

I haven't been as impressed with Spiceworks, Remedy, or JIRA, but admittedly I've done little more than look at them.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We use Issue & Project Tracking Software | Atlassian JIRA

It's ok for our needs but I feel it would be a bit of a mess if we were to have 50+ users.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I personally have used Remedy (BMC), Magic (BMC), and Peregrine (Peregrine Inc I think). For large scale operations, I would suggest Remedy as it has many reporting tools and asset management systems. Magic would be more suitable for a smaller company who does not need all the bells and whistles of an All-in-one system. Never use Peregrine, you are better writing tickets by hand.
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    My previous employer used BridgeTrak. It was pretty good and had notifications as well as a good reporting feature.

J
  • mufasamufasa Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks. guys.

quite a few good ones with really good features, some bad interfaces and some expensive software.

im working on a shortlist to present to my manager right now from all the ones you've suggested.

thanks again
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    mufasa wrote: »
    Hi Guy's

i use SpiceWorks for the helpdesk at work but it has several little things about it that have been annoying so been looking for alternatives

hoping you guys could recommend any good ones.

thanks

I was going to mention Spiceworks, it worked great when I set it up at my old job. What is wrong with it?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Spiceworks is amazing, easy to use, customizable and you can integrate it with lots of tools. I integrated spiceworks with nagios and it was amazing.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    currently use Service Now
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use microsoft dynamics
    Well its our CRM but well it comes with that feature also.. its integrated with our outlook also so its pretty cool.
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Zorodzai wrote: »
    We use Issue & Project Tracking Software | Atlassian JIRA

It's ok for our needs but I feel it would be a bit of a mess if we were to have 50+ users.

Yea I think JIRA was more designed for software developers. We used it in a HD environment once and it was messy.

Remedy is extremely powerful and awesome when done right, but you practically need a dedicated person (and in some large organizations they have a dedicated team) to keep it running.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try Freshdesk.com, it's free for the first seat.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work for a company of 200+ employees and I implemented Spiceworks as our Helpdesk ticketing system. It was very easy to configure the users portal and to create custom fields tailored to our needs. Also their service has been great, once I corrupted the database (dont modify directly the database) and they were able to repair it. The person was nice and knew his stuff. They also have a great community where everyone helps each other not only on Spiceworks, but everything IT related.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Used salesforce and numara.
    Salesforce the best of those, although is probably expensive.
    meh
  • mufasamufasa Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was going to mention Spiceworks, it worked great when I set it up at my old job. What is wrong with it?

we get lots of tickets with attachments sent to the helpdesk. when i assign one of those tickets to our external support guy or in even cc in my reply, the attachments to get sent through unless i download the attachment and then attach it again with my reply.

...that and on or two other little things.

we've decided to go with ZenDesk
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Does ZenDesk run on Linux?
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've used quite a few:

HEAT - terrible. Even after we did a customization to integrate with MS SMS2003 it was painful. The web portal was even worse

Bridgetrack - now owned by ScriptLogic (I think). I did the implementation of this for a 24 hour support/TAC desk for an oilfield operations center. Very easy to customize, decent reports, low cost.

OTRS - very nice after you spend the time to configure it properly - like all open source software.

Remedy - solid but expensive

Spiceworks - I just recently did a Spiceworks install for a small-ish company. Incredibly easy to setup and get running. I didn't run into the attachment forwarding issue, but all the techs are in house.

If Zendesk doesn't work out I'd look into OTRS.
  • xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    I've used Tigerpaw and Connectwise. I say Connectwise wins by a long shot. But it really depends on the organization itself.

+1 for Connectwise
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Spiceworks... (VERY easy to setup and go, awesome community forum)
    TSRM... (Owned/Operated by IBM... Not too bad, use it now. Kinda sluggish)
    Altiris... (Cheaper, but you can tell it is.. Not graphically appealing...)
    Remedy... (Herd good things, pretty expensive)
    Salesforce... (Pretty good, lots of stuff and options, pretty well put together, very expensive)
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Right now we just started using BMC Track-It which is a asset management and help desk ticketing system. It doing a nice job for us so far but sometimes it could a little sluggish.

We just began deployment of Microsoft CRM Online so I would not be suprised if we migrate to that sooner or later which keeps track of much more.

In my experience, I loved using Microsoft CRM. If you customize and actually build out from that it works wonders