CCENT/CCNA - Where to start

saffyresaffyre Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,
Just finished my MCITP: EA certs and moving on to my next beast of certifications i've been wanting to work on as well.
Going to start my CCENT/CCNA's soon and wanting to make sure all of my research has not been in vain.

My biggest gaps, I think, with the good network understanding I have, is that I will need to learn iOS, as well as some of the Cisco Proprietary stuff, terminology, etc etc etc. Plus just brushing up on some of the skills.

I'm working on building a lab and picking up some good books to read and material and wanted to see if anyone had any more recommendations. Got a sweet deal on the lab stuff and figured i'd build out to go further than the CCNA, maybe CCNP lab? Here goes:

Current Lab/awaiting some parts:
3x 2611XM
1x 2651XM
2x C2950-24
1x 3550-24-SMI
3x NM-4A/S (Not quite sure what these do yet, but they were free.)
+going to need to pick up a bunch of cables, console cables, etc.
-Also needing to get a 4-Post rack that i've needed for a while for my servers/etc.

Books:
CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Updated, Odom
CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition, Lammle

Training Materials:
CBT Nuggets

Am I on the right path? Will the Lab get me through most of the CCNP? or will I need to add a bit more in the future?
Any other good books? I really enjoy the CBT Nugget materials, and am looking for Books to fill in the gaps.
WGU Progress: Network Design and Management: started 04/12
Courses transfered: CSV1, WFV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, AXV1, CPV1, INC1, INT1, DFV1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1 (64 CU) Courses Completed: CRV1, CTV1, CUV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1(30 CU)
Courses needed: BOV1, BNC1, TPV1, SBT1, RCT1 (20 CU)
Courses in progress: BIV1 (6 CU)

Comments

• jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Wow, aside from maybe another 3550, and the necessary cables to connect everything you look like you're set! Good choices on the equipment, books, and CBT Nuggets.

The only thing I would suggest would be to also pick up the CCNA videos from INE (they are free.) You may also want to consider getting the eBook version of "101 CCNA Labs" on Amazon, as it has a pretty comprehensive set of labs to help you prepare.

Good luck!
  • saffyresaffyre Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the thought jdballinger. I'll pick up a second 3550 at some point. Purchased the book you recommended. Glad to see i'm doing things correctly!
    WGU Progress: Network Design and Management: started 04/12
    Courses transfered: CSV1, WFV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, AXV1, CPV1, INC1, INT1, DFV1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1 (64 CU) Courses Completed: CRV1, CTV1, CUV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1(30 CU)
    Courses needed: BOV1, BNC1, TPV1, SBT1, RCT1 (20 CU)
    Courses in progress: BIV1 (6 CU)
  • CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You might as well get a 3560, I saw 8 port ones on ebay for $265 that came with a year warranty.