When did Trainsignal become subscription based ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
And what happened to the forum ?

I suppose subscription based has its advantages, but I still think I prefer to own a copy of the course so I can come back again if I wanted to .. without paying almost $600 / year ...
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Spotted that myself last night, to be fair I think I prefer it that way, seems quite cheap to me especially as you couldn't choose a download only version of package you bought so when Mr UPS turns up at the door he wants £30 or so extra to give it to HMRC. Also the trainsignal stuff I've bought is invaluable whilst I'm studying for a cert but once I've passed it then DVD's tend to get shelved in favour of a book or google for quick fire reference material.

Access to their whole catalogue for about £30 a month compared to about £300 for one package seems like a bargain to me.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never had to pay any tax here in the UK and I ordered probably 5 or more packages so far ...
  • SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've only ordered one of their courses, and I wasn't charged any import tax or duties. It arrived in a pleasingly short time; well under a week, if I recall correctly. I was able to access the online version of the training material immediately, so I didn't really need the DVD.

With regards to the switch from the per-course payment model, I think it's an improvement. As dales says, they're not especially useful after you've passed the exam, so in my opinion the subscription model offers better value for money.
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    You'r quite clearly jammy devils then :) , Mr UPS guy always wants extra cash from me before handing them over. I've ordered about 5 as well from them in the past 2 or three years.
    I've also always had access as well immediately to the training via the website and I would have been happy with just that if the pricing was altered suitably.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just noticed that last week, very affordable now especially compared to CBT Nuggets $99 a month subscription. Maybe this price war might drop the price of CBT Nuggets? Going to subscribe for a month and watch as many VMware vids as I can, to try and find out more about vCloud seen as CBT doesn't cover them. Will still use CBT for Server 2012 though...
    Forgot about the vCloud videos - might really be worth it at the end .. Still surprised the forum is gone - or so well hidden that I cannot find.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Man, I am so glad I didn't shell out $399 for any of those vSphere videos yet - it was on my to do list, but other stuff took priority. I'd be furious if I spent all that money then they went subscription based a month later...
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I recently received the responsibilities of tutoring people where I work. This site is exactly what I need to get the assignment completed as I apparently have to tutor in some subjects that I haven't learned yet (lol). It will also assist me in any areas where I may have gotten "rusty" from being in school.

They also have excellent customer service. I've never dealt with an online CSR who could type almost as fast as I can lol and answer questions that efficiently!
    Customer service is great .. I am in the UK and asked once if it is possible to get all sets of DVDs send again as I lost them while moving.. they didn't even ask for the postage and shipped for free the whole lot again.