Options

Newbie Resume Critique pls

smellyguy_philipsmellyguy_philip Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I am new to IT and don't have a lot of experience. I will finish my Masters degree in December, and I am start lookin for job now. It's really difficult to put stuff into my resume, as I don't have a lot of things. I have attached my current resume, please kindly give any opinions or suggestions. This resume is a general one, not specifically towards a certain company. So I guess I'm probably going to post it in job sites. I really appreciate the help, and please do not hesitate to critisize. Thanks :)

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS

• Self-motivated, customer-focused Masters student with an exceptional ability to efficiently solve problems and master new skills/technology
• Experience as Desktop Support and Computer Technician with expertise in computer operation, maintenance and technical support, including building, repairing, diagnosing, upgrading and recycling PC hardware, software and networks
• Experience in marketing products in an E-commerce environment through online stores and auction websites, providing outstanding customer service
• 3 years experience as director in design and management of student-run magazine production organization leading team of 30
• 3 years experience in planning, organizing, and running fund-raising events, team-building activities, and dances in a student-run organization working with staff and club members of 200
• Multiple experience in public competitions such as stamp design, oral recitation, academic competitions, inter-nation Internet competition, etc

COMPUTER SKILLS

Programming/Databases: C, C++, Java, Pascal, SQL, DB2, MIPS, Scheme, MathCAD, Matlab, Python, Turing, PHP
Applications: Microsoft Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Norton Antivirus, Symantec Ghost, SPSS, etc.
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 3.1/95/98/Me/NT/XP, DOS, UNIX, Linux
Technical Knowledge: Assembling and disassembling desktops; formatting, installing, configuring and upgrading of operating systems and applications. Demonstrated diagnosing and troubleshooting skills
Related Courses: Project Management, Operational Research, Database Management, E-Commerce, Management Information Systems, Graphical Interfaces, Business, Economics, Statistics, Math, Psychology, Philosophy, Public Speaking, Speech communication, Accounting

EDUCATION

Masters of Management Science (Dec, 2005) University of Waterloo, ON
Bachelor of Computer Science University of Waterloo, ON
CompTia Network+ (In Progress)

EXPERIENCE

Desktop Support Analyst, Company A 4/01 – 8/01
• Assisted and supported the planning and execution of infrastructure computerization
• Decreased processing time of routine tasks utilizing computers
• Improved overall computer literacy of company through personally training employees
• Provided 24/7 on-site and off-site technical support to employees
• Installed, administered and troubleshooted MS Windows and MS office

Internet Reseller, Kitchener, ON 1/04 – present
• Marketed products to over 20 nations via the Internet
• Provided excellent customer support to over 500 international customers via email or phone
• Received 100% positive feedback from all customers
• Awarded eBay Power Seller Certificate as recognition of outstanding performance and professionalism

Computer Technician,Company B ON 4/05 – present
• Volunteered 8 hours per week supporting the Computer Recycle Project
• Increased overall efficiency of tasks by suggesting and implementing new system
• Provided low cost repair, refurbish and recycle services for customers who cannot afford

Director, Organization C 9/01 – 9/04
• Volunteered in student run magazine production organization
• Promoted to section leader, then to assistance director, and finally to director within 2 years
• Applied project management techniques in publication process of the production department leading 30 staff members
• Supported and communicated with 4 other departments with staff of 100 and club members of 200

AWARDS, HONOURS AND ACHIEVEMENTS

• Diploma of IBM Chinese Basic Computer, Macau Business Institute, 1996
• Certificate of Merit, Stamp Design Contest, Macau, 1994
• Honours Graduate, Columbia International College, Hamilton, Canada, 2001
• Certificate of Distinction, Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge, 2001
• Certificate of Distinction, English and Science, International Assessments for Schools, The University of New South Wales, 1997 and 1998
• Certificate of Merit, Excellence Performance in English, Yuet Wah College, Macau, 1997
• Academic Performance Award, Yuet Wah College, Macau, 1997
• Subject Award (English), Yuet Wah College, Macau, 1997
• Ontario Scholars, 2001

ACTIVITIES AND INTEREST

• Working on becoming a magician/mentalist/illusionist
• Band member, performed in Columbia International College Spring Show, very interested in music, plays electric guitar, bass, drum and learning keyboard
• Main actor of several Dramas and Movies, UW Chinese Drama Club, 2001-2003
• Active member of Music Club, Columbia International College, Hamilton, Canada, 2001
• Active member of Hiking Club, Columbia International College, Hamilton, Canada, 2001

Thank you very much for all the help :)

Regards
Philip

Comments

• Options
    Oops, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention I am looking for any entry level Help Desk or Computer Support position :)
  • Options
    fualkerfualker Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see alot of great info on this resume, and I had to read alot. Personally, I like to see a resume that is concise. I would stick to the topics that pertain to the position you are seeking so that the employer doesn't get bored wading thru the mumbo jumbo and toss your resume to the side. I got confused with your experience section and the timestamps. Just remember most people only spend a few seconds with your resume, make it count.
  • Options
    fualkerfualker Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see alot of great info on this resume, and I had to read alot. Personally, I like to see a resume that is concise. I would stick to the topics that pertain to the position you are seeking so that the employer doesn't get bored wading thru the mumbo jumbo and toss your resume to the side. I got confused with your experience section and the timestamps. Just remember most people only spend a few seconds with your resume, make it count.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Experience should be listed in reverse cronological order.

Internet Reseller - Ebay? I never thought of putting that on a resume. Not sure if it belongs, but the 100% positive feedback does show that you are responsible and customer oriented.

ACTIVITIES AND INTEREST - Most people will tell you that it doesn't belong on a resume. I think it is ok that it is there, but I would scale it back.

CompTia Network+ (In Progress) - If I have a cert that i'm studying for I will leave it off the resume and mention it in the cover letter.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    Fualkner said it best. You seem very diverse technically. Hone in on what type of job you want, and present your self to acquire that job. Then trim the fat. Here are some things I would suggest. Notice I removed the activities because frankly no hiring manager is going to care, but I kept the distinctions. Distinctions *may* help separating you from the rest of the applicants when you are entering the workforce. However, if you are going for an entry level job IT, its probably going to be easy to get with your credentials. In that case, I would not include them either.

Your experience section needs a major overhaul. You are currently representing more management skills then you are IT. Present even your fundamental IT skills, like troubleshooting LANs and working with TCP/IP. Hiring managers want to know that you can do the basic job.

The IT world is so ironic. Entering as entry level IT with a masters :P

• Self-motivated, customer-focused Masters student with an exceptional ability to efficiently solve problems and master new skills/technology
    • Experience as Desktop Support and Computer Technician with expertise in computer operation, maintenance and technical support, including building, repairing, diagnosing, upgrading and recycling PC hardware, software and networks
    • Experience meeting customer service standards in an e-commerce environment.

COMPUTER SKILLS

Programming/Databases: C, C++, Java, Pascal, SQL, DB2, MIPS, Scheme, MathCAD, Matlab, Python, Turing, PHP
    Applications: Microsoft Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Norton Antivirus, Symantec Ghost, SPSS, etc.
    Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 3.1/95/98/Me/NT/XP, DOS, UNIX, Linux
    Technical Knowledge: Assembling and disassembling desktops; formatting, installing, configuring and upgrading of operating systems and applications. Diagnosing and troubleshooting (what? define this more)

EDUCATION

Masters of Management Science (Dec, 2005) University of Waterloo, ON
    Bachelor of Computer Science University of Waterloo, ON
    CompTia Network+ (In Progress)

EXPERIENCE

Desktop Support Analyst, Company A 4/01 – 8/01
    • Assisted and supported the planning and execution of infrastructure computerization
    • Decreased processing time of routine tasks utilizing computers
    • Improved overall computer literacy of company through personally training employees
    • Provided 24/7 on-site and off-site technical support to employees
    • Installed, administered and troubleshooted MS Windows and MS office

Computer Technician,Company B ON 4/05 – present
    • Volunteered 8 hours per week supporting the Computer Recycle Project
    • Increased overall efficiency of tasks by suggesting and implementing new system
    • Provided low cost repair, refurbish and recycle services for customers who cannot afford

Director, Organization C 9/01 – 9/04
    • Volunteered in student run magazine production organization
    • Promoted to section leader, then to assistance director, and finally to director within 2 years
    • Applied project management techniques in publication process of the production department leading 30 staff members
    • Supported and communicated with 4 other departments with staff of 100 and club members of 200

AWARDS, HONOURS AND ACHIEVEMENTS

• Diploma of IBM Chinese Basic Computer, Macau Business Institute, 1996
    • Certificate of Merit, Stamp Design Contest, Macau, 1994
    • Honours Graduate, Columbia International College, Hamilton, Canada, 2001
    • Certificate of Distinction, Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge, 2001
    • Certificate of Distinction, English and Science, International Assessments for Schools, The University of New South Wales, 1997 and 1998
    • Certificate of Merit, Excellence Performance in English, Yuet Wah College, Macau, 1997
    • Academic Performance Award, Yuet Wah College, Macau, 1997
    • Subject Award (English), Yuet Wah College, Macau, 1997
    • Ontario Scholars, 2001
  • Options
    Hi

Thank you guys for all the input.
    I really appreciated it.
    Yes, I thought of removing the reseller part too.
    And I definitely have to reorder the job orders.
    And yes, I guess the interests part really isn't that good.

I think I should try to show off more of my technical skills.
    But as a general resume, do you think my resume is competitive at all.
    I think the downfall is a don't have a lot of experience.
    The reason is I am a VISA student in Canada, so I cannot work at all, part time or full time. So there is zero chance for me to get experience.
    I got 1 volunteer and just got another 1 today :)

Do you think a 4 month job, plus 2 other volunteer job is enough to get me a entry level job?

I also have heard other people say that I should not even put the Masters degree if I am applying for an entry level job. Should I leave it out?

Anyways, I thank you all again for all the information. It had been a great help. I am really glad that I found this site :)

Regards
    Philip
  • Options
    NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    Do you think a 4 month job, plus 2 other volunteer job is enough to get me a entry level job?

With your resume, yes. Entry level jobs arent that hard to obtain.
    I also have heard other people say that I should not even put the Masters degree if I am applying for an entry level job. Should I leave it out?

Being over-qualified is something hiring managers do look for at times. I would probably leave it out when posting for an entry level job.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    The first section should be labeled "OBJECTIVE" and state the kind of position/job/career that you are looking for. This resume shows that you are way over qualified for entry-level help desk or support tech. Have you ever considered being a software developer?

Remove the ACTIVITIES AND INTEREST section. There is nothing there that will help you get a job. You don't want to give a prospective employer the idea that you will have a life other than work.

I once had a resume handed to me with a "HOBBIES" section that included rock climbing, surfing, and desert motocross racing. I envisioned an employee using many sick days for either broken bones and "Monday/Friday absenteeism disease." That resume went right into the ol' circular file.
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for the info.
    I will definitely remove the activities section.

And regarding of the developer question, I have been programming for my whole 4-year CD degree and I find that that is not where my passion is. I'm sure if I get a developer position, I will not be happy and I will not perform well.

I am more interested into admin positions and getting more experience and ultimately do consulting.

But I know helpdesk is the way to start. And I am also worried that I might be a bit overqualified. So I might just remove the masters degree in my resume.

Philip
  • Options
    But I know helpdesk is the way to start. And I am also worried that I might be a bit overqualified. So I might just remove the masters degree in my resume.
    Technically, this would be considered mis-representation of yourself and grounds for you being fired. If you do this, NEVER mention to anyone at your job that you have a Masters. If you are found out to have a Masters and it's not listed, claim that it's an old copy of your resume and give HR an updated resume that includes your current job. You should be fine.

I know several people who don't list their PhD's so they'll have an easier time getting software engineering positions. Just as employers don't want people who are "under educated" for a specific position, many also don't want people who are "over educated" either.
  • Options
    Hi,

Wow, so there is quite some risk in not telling anyone about the masters.
    I really am sure now whether to put it, or leave it and 'lie'.

Or is it ok to put Masters in my resume when applying for larger companies? Is there a difference in how people or managers look at this in regards to the size of the company?

So do you suggest me to leave out the Masters degree and 'lie'?
    Or just include it in my resume?

Thanks for the advice.

Philip
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I think having a Masters Degree listed on your resume if you'll be targeting entry-level positions can be detrimental. Look at it this way: nobody's going to be looking for a Master's Degree from an entry-level job applicant. It won't put you on a fast track because it's simply not what an employer expects from people on that lane. In fact, you might look suspicious if you do boost such a thing when eyeing entry-level jobs.

You're not lying if you leave out that entry from your resume. And you're not telling the truth either. But not telling the truth and lying aren't necessarily the same. and if somebody does by any chance figure out you're overqualified (which I don't think how it'll happen if you want to keep the entry-level job) , do as jdmurray said. Nobody's gonna grill you for it anywayz.

But hey, you know what? you shouldn't be looking for entry level jobs if you have a Master's Degree. Go for the stars, you might end up reaching the clouds (but that's ok, right?).

2lbs.

p.s. we used to joke around at work that if you wanted your boss to give you a company car, you'd have to start out by asking him for a private jet icon_wink.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice 2lazybutsmart,

I understand your points.
    But I'm worried I don't have enough experience for non-entry level positions. icon_sad.gif

Philip
  • Options
    But I'm worried I don't have enough experience for non-entry level positions. icon_sad.gif

That's for a prospective employer to decide, not you. If you keep thinking like that then you'll never get the job that you really deserve.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you speak multiple languages, list it on your resume.

We had a help desk position come up in knoxville, tn for a bunch of positions and to get the position you had to speak Mandrin Chinese. So people do look for multiple languages.

You are in canada? on Visa? and you mention a Chinese club?

So do you speak French, English and Chinese?
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks again for the info.

I will apply for different types of positions, including non entry level ones.

I am in Canada as a VISA student. I've been here since high school!. I started studying OAC here. so I am in Canada for more than 5 years now.
    And regarding languages, I speak and write fluent English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Tagalog(I lived in the philippines for a while). And also know very little of some other languages. Where should I put the languages I know?

Thanks

Philip
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should put them by your education section, maybe right below it, after Education and certs.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    ciscogeraldciscogerald Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I saw that you work with STAMP on your resume. I was toying with them a while back, looked into pic/stamp firewalls and such. Why would you be going for the entry level stuff with credentials like that. I would shoot for the stars like the others said. Post your resume on Monster.ca and a head hunter will most likely find you and offer you something great. It happened to a couple friends and now they're raking it in.

Gerald
  • Options
    Really?
    Thanks for suggestions.
    I'll definitely put it in various posting sites :)

Philip