Graduating this Spring...Need Career Advice!

wakewake Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,

Well I'm graduating this spring with a BS in Management Information Systems and stuck on where to go next for my IT career. I've worked in IT all throughout college mainly being in a help desk/computer repair role in businesses. I first started out in geek squad in high school and moved up to doing my own IT consulting and working part-time help desk roles in small businesses. My current job right now is doing part-time help desk/system admin at a small business of about 30 employees. As of now, I don't believe I see a future to grow here due to the size of the company and we have been doing budget cuts the last year. I would like to find a new job upon graduation this summer.

My question is where is a good route to go next? I've been recommended to take the CCNA route but I've heard from people that networking is a dying field due to the increased use of cloud computing. A friend recommended going into programming but I don't see myself doing coding all day (personally don't enjoy it). I could stick with going the system admin route and getting all of my Microsoft Certifications as well as familiarizing myself with SQL, ASP, etc.

I guess I'm just a guy stuck in the help desk role and want some advice on how to get out of it!

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    How would networking be a dying field because of cloud computing? Data still has to get from one point to the other. Just because it's in the cloud doesn't mean it automatically works with no network infastructure. :D

CCNA would be a good way to go if you are interested in networking. It seems like you are in a good place to look for a systems admin role as you have previous experience there. Maybe look at some Microsoft certifications to help in that area.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.