Options

Networking Newbie Looking for Some Guidance

shirazirshirazir Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off, let me say that I'm hugely impressed with the kindness and environment of respect I've come across on this forum thus far. Kudos!

Here's what I'm looking for, some advice as to the best route for me as someone who wishes to pursue a career in networking. As a little background, I studied marketing at community college here in Toronto and I'm now looking to make the switch (see what I did there?icon_lol.gif) into networking.

Here are the options I've laid out for myself thus far. Keep in mind, my particular interests lie in security, voice, and wireless. Mind you, I have no formal education in IT, just a (hopefully) sharp mind and a penchant for learning.

- Study independently and try to earn a CCNA
- Take a private course and try to earn a CCNA ($$$$$)
- Enroll in a university certificate program, such as this one: Ryerson University: The Chang School: Courses and Programs ($$ but much less than the CCNA course)
- Run in circles, naked, shouting "networking" until somebody either hires me or calls the police.

So what do you guys think is the best option for me, considering I don't actually have a four year degree and much more business experience than networking?

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Easy: self-study for the CCNA and save yourself a bunch of money.
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Easy: self-study for the CCNA and save yourself a bunch of money.

Some of the university course span multiple semesters. So from a cost and a time standpoint go self-study!
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A mix of both IMO. I took 4 Cisco classes via the Netacademy/in class at a community college to help prepare me for the exam. The benefit for me was... available equipment, knowledgeable instructors, and being able to learn from other students. Many of the students in my class had varied levels of experience working in the IT field. Being able to work with them helped a ton! I'm making a career change and being able to network with the class members and instructors has been great. I do believe you should study on your own as well giving a formal class a try.

The books/labs I used while attending class.

CBT Nuggets are great to help support the topics you will cover in class.
    Todd Lammle's CCNA book was an easy read and I go back to it often.
    CCNA Portable command guide. Best money I've spent so far!
    Routing protocols and concepts. Very useful.... lots of lab work.

You can of course go at it 100% on your own and be successful. I have a CCNP buddy who did it all on his own... home lab setup and lots of books.

Hope this helps and best of luck with everything.
    Hatch
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    1. Get a good book. (Todd Lammle is often recommended.)
    2. Get a good set of labs. (Free ones abound.)
    3. Read, study, practice, and understand.
    4. When you get stuck on a topic, forums like this one will help you out. (Just easier to help you if you come showing you've researched the matter.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    Fellow Torontonian!

+ 1 Self-Study CCNA - While going to an institution for Technology is what I did, you will get the education in networking however; the courses are not 100% aligned with the CCNA objectives. I know several of my Data Comm classes had CCNA level materials sprinkled with some randomness and CCNP stuff.

Judging by your OP - The goal is a CCNA, which can be achieved in less time, and in a more cost-effective manner via self-study.

My .02

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions etc.
  • Options
    ToomsTooms Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Download a program called GNS3 and find a Cisco image. Setup a bunch of dummy network scenarios on your own. Getting a CCNA would be good, but dont consider it the gateway to a good job or you might be let down.

Look for entry level IT Jobs at a small company or a NOC networking job at a large company.
  • Options
    You guys are awesome!

Definitely looks as though self study is the preferred way to go about it. I'm planning on ordering Tod Lammle's book and perhaps subscribing to CBT Nuggets as well.

To be honest, I'm a little nervous as I've not actually worked in networking like many of the folks here.
  • Options
    Tooms wrote: »
    Download a program called GNS3 and find a Cisco image. Setup a bunch of dummy network scenarios on your own. Getting a CCNA would be good, but dont consider it the gateway to a good job or you might be let down.

Look for entry level IT Jobs at a small company or a NOC networking job at a large company.

This is what I've heard thus far; that a CCNA is a good asset but it doesn't just buy you a job, experience however does.

I'm actually planning to do what my brother did and go down the voice route after I've done my CCNA/NP.
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    While I agree that self study is a great way to go, never underestimate the value of the connections you can make in a university setting. Many of the guys that went through the program where I attended already had years of experience at a telecom, but wanted to get the cert to back it up and the company paid for the schooling. The last two jobs I had were leads from classmates.