I feel like I have been living in a cave for awhile....

gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
I finally decided to drop some cash on some new equipment for my home and studies.

Old:

HP G60
AMD Turion Dual Core 2.1GHz
3GB Ram
250GB HDD
2 mismatched 19" LCD Monitors for my desk

New:

HP Envy m6
i5 (2c/4t) 2.6-3.2GHz
16GB Ram
512GB Crucial M4 SSD
2 20" HP LED Monitors

I know it should be no surprise, but the difference is staggering. I feel like I am back in touch the world again. This new laptop is light, slim, and quiet. I love it. Also, finally upgraded my network to GBE. It cost a pretty penny, but it motivates me to keep focused on the future. Now I just have to call and have my ISP speed increased. I think I am going with 50Mbps.

My only reservation right now is that I am not sure about Win8 yet. I will give it some time and see.

Comments

• XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Your "old" items sound like my new 1s. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Xyro wrote: »
    Your "old" items sound like my new 1s. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This is also what I was thinking. My newest machine is an old Gateway my parents handed down to me when it died on them. It was the onboard video, so simply adding a card I had fixed it. I put an SSD in it and voila, relativley snappy machine. 1.8GHz quad core AMD machine from about 2008 some odd. 64GB SSD, nVidia 9800GT and Windows 7 Home Prem 64Bit and 4GB RAM. That was an upgrade from a Pentium D 3.0GHz with 2GB RAM and the same 64GB SSD. The gateway gets the job done, but of course I could use something a lot newer and have a much better experience.

I am envious of your i5 and ridiculous amount of RAM it sounds like you will never utilize. Quite frankly, my own collection of technology that I can use is never new, I'm always in a cave. Occasionally a local in the neighboring town will leave me a computer that is far outdated to him, but still an upgrade to what i'm using, lol.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    did you buy it with those specs?
    or upgrade your ram and hdd size?
    i bet a 512gb ssd is pricey
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought it and upgraded. Its a lot of ram, but i am vm crazy sometimes. The large ssd is pricey, but i look at it as an investment. I use my computer very frequently, so why not enjoy it?
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Occasionally a local in the neighboring town will leave me a computer that is far outdated to him, but still an upgrade to what i'm using, lol.
    Lucky, I usually have to dig through the dumpster lol.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I've upgraded my G60 to 8GB of RAM and I'm putting in a 512gb Crucial M4 in a day or two to replace the HDD which is dying due to poor thermal design by HP. My G60 has cooked several HDDs over the years.
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I never had anything burn up, but the G60 runs hot for sure.