question about helpdesk

is it normal for a newly hired employee to receive training for 2 or 3 weeks since he has no experience or do he have to hit the ground running assuming he has exp

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You're expected to know some things but they might train you on the systems that they use.

Usually the job posting will explain the requirements.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on the organization, I've been in one where I was only peer mentored for 1 day and then was told to hit the ground and run and I've been at others where I had 4 weeks of training in a different country. All depends on training budget of the organization.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Most of the time, I've seen the "hit the ground running" approach except for proprietary programs that the company may use and they'll train you how to troubleshoot those or have you ask someone as you get questions about them. I would say that it's usually good to have an A+ and Network+ level of knowledge before starting as a Tier 1 helpdesk
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • programmer24programmer24 Banned Posts: 122
    thank you what do you at work and by the way I want to work in office
    I'm a network engineer. Most of the time I get to stay in the office but from time-to-time, I'll have to go to the datacenter or to a site
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    kool I was thinking getting into networking and I did major in computer information systems with a concentration in network/security
    It's a good field to get into but there's a lot of people skills needed surprisingly. When something goes down, you need to smooth people over and manage expectations. When you design and build out a new site, you need to talk with the users and determine what their needs are. While building out sites or working on new projects, you'll need to work with vendors, managers, end-users, etc.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    also I know databases too I created my own databases for couple of school projects and I also studying 70-461
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Swing on by the SQL board and yuk it up. I am working on 461 as well.