NAT ... Terms confusing me horribly ...

Emissary_of_PainEmissary_of_Pain Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all ...

So i recently started the WANs and have reached the NAT section ... they are explained so horribly and are confusing me to the point of pulling my hair out ...

Is there a simple way to explain the terms

Inside
Outside
Inside Local
Inside Global
Outside Local

What is the best way to remember and understand these terms ... (starting to understand why many say WANs are the worst part to study)

All information would be greatly GREATLY appreciated.
Regards,
Richard.

Comments

• Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Just do a quick search on the forums, others have covered these terms more eloquently.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Inside and outside is relative to the observer. :)

So you have a bunch of PCs on your internal network. You're using the private range 172.16.1.0/24 internally. Well you can't just use the internet like that because your source IPs aren't public and hosts on the outside won't be able to send replies. So you have NAT configured on the firewall or router. You have an external IP of 1.1.1.1. That's a public IP that can be reached over the internet. Now with the NAT being performed (PAT or NAT overload in this example), hosts in your internal network have their 172 addresses converted to 1.1.1.1 for the outside world to reach. And for instance you do a DNS query to one of google's servers at 8.8.8.8.

172.16.1.0/24 = inside local
    1.1.1.1 = inside global
    8.8.8.8 = outside global

Inside = your addresses
    Outside = someone else's addresses

Local = Addresses as seen from the inside
    Global = Addresses as seen from the outside

So what is outside local? If, for some reason, you decided to translate 8.8.8.8 to an inside address on the 172.16.1.0/24 network, that'd be an outside local address. It's someone else's network, but it's being translated into something else and "seen" differently on the internal network.

And I always conclude this by saying "one man's inside global is another man's outside global". Your 1.1.1.1 is an outside global from the PoV of another network.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That was a brilliant explanation, Zart!

I like the "one man's inside global is another man's outside global".
    Working On: eCPPT
  • Bose4meBose4me Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my own words, this is how I differentiate one from the other...

anything local = private
    anything global = public

Private Addresses (local)

Inside local = client/host with a private IP address "native"
    Outside local = the private address that sits on the NAT router/switch

Public Addresses (global)

Inside global = the NAT router/switch public address (sits opposite of outside local)
    Outside global = "native" address to the public server or Internet address
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Local are not always private and global are not always public. You are just going to confuse things even more looking at it that way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    A great philosopher on tech-exams once said.

not sure who it was.,

If its inside of your control then its inside local or global,

If its outside of your control then its outside local or global,

easy to remember.
  • Emissary_of_PainEmissary_of_Pain Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the replies and sorry for my late reply (been traveling a lot)

I think I understand now ... I am definitely going to have to put a lot more time into this section ...

Luckily I got Packet Tracer and can practice setting up routers/nats and hopefully that will help me learn the differences easier