My first attempt at soldering in many years

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
The first shock was it worked once I had finished, but can any one tell me what it is? I mean I know what it is but anyone else?

• If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's an Enigma board used for encryption/decryption of messages.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Indeed it is :)

Went to a IT confrance at Bletchly Park (UK) last week and was given it. Have to say if you want to learn a bit about cryptography its a nice device to study. Both from an encryption point of view and a study in crypoanalysis.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Soldering .. I was shocked - I am orginally Electronics Engineer and I worked (and soldered) SMT printed boards / components back in the day ... Now .. 15+ years later, I hardly can join to simple copper cable with solder lol

Here I tried to haxor a KVM in order to use my own surface mount push buttons including a built-in LED. You know how long that took me ? 2 Bloody hours :D

And I destroyed one of those switch LED because I soldered too hot .. at almost $15 a piece not nice ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    What have I told you about making timebombs...?
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    What have I told you about making timebombs...?

Make them pretty ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Make them pretty ?

:) yes we want a smile on there faces as they get blown away..
  • psiebertpsiebert Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had to solder the other day, man it was rough. Never really done it before, having a hard time keeping things steady. Any tips?
    get a bit of old strip-board Stripboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and have a good practice.

if you are just doing wire joins and other fiddly stuff get one of these to hold it steady

http://www.toolsinstock.com/admin/thumbnail.php?width=240&height=240&src=images/SD150.jpg
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    psiebert wrote: »
    I had to solder the other day, man it was rough. Never really done it before, having a hard time keeping things steady. Any tips?

It take years to be great at it, just practice, it is a nice thing to be good at. watch a couple videos
    I would make one recomendation:

do not hold your breath,(this helps steady things)

when melting the solder exhale, breath out and gently blow the fumes away.