Options

Do you openly share your salary?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
I never got why it seemed to be a taboo subject to openly ask someone what their salary was.
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    HE!! no. At most places its a quick way to get fired and build resentment if your higher on the scale than your skill suggest.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It depends on the person I'm disclosing it to. In California, Its illegal to fire someone for sharing salary info and the last two bosses haven't cared. I don't mind sharing it if a curious newb asks and I don't get the impression that they are going to turn into a jealous baby and instead work hard to get to that salary level. Overall, there's no reason to bring it up every day though
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    I never got why it seemed to be a taboo subject to openly ask someone what their salary was.

I never understood this either. I always felt the people who are secretive with their pay know they are being overpaid and don't want to let others know. It is either that or they know they are being paid so much more than those around them that talking about pay could possibly cause resentment, jealousy, and other problems.

I actually read an article the other day about a new startup company that publishes everyone's salary, stock options, etc for all employees to see. The CEO said it removes all this jealousy, weirdness, etc and people can always ask their boss why they are making what they are making.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll share it with ex-coworkers, friends, family, but not direct coworkers- unless we're really good friends. It can cause weirdness within the workplace..not necessarily "trouble" - but people don't like they work harder (or the same) and make less..

I am open with it to everyone else because I feel it's good to know where you stand. I want to say it was Donald Trump who said it, and I am paraphrasing, but he said something to the effect of 'people who don't discuss money are afraid of it' and I kind of believe that. I'm not saying it's always appropriate, but I feel no reason to not discuss it..in most cases at least.

All of the above being said, it's ultimately a personal choice so I respect anyone's right to not talk about it.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    How about people who don't discuss money are being paid peanuts? This is more apt in my case icon_rolleyes.gif
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's a bit uncomfortable sharing it with a co-worker. I'm fairly open with it outside of that. It is rude to broadcast it, but if it comes up as a legitimate topic of conversation, I don't see the big deal.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I will never make fun of anyones salary..I was once making peanuts too pumbaa_g.

The great thing about being paid peanuts, is the only place to go is up..and truthfully, I was more motivated when I made less. It's harder to get the motivation to better yourself when you're making an OK living..easier to get complacent (in my case) :)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    People ask me frequently, but don't disclose what I earn.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    If someone asks me directly I will tell them. It is a little silly to try and hide it since my company's jobs are all public record. My feeling is that you should be able and willing to defend your salary honestly. I think a lot of dysfunction comes from hiding things like salary, it lets you hide incompetent employees and prevents competent ones from getting raises. It helps that I am not personally offended by many things and I don't put a lot of stock in the American feeling of discomfort apropos personal finance. Some people were raised to not discuss things like that, I get it; however if someone is complaining that they don't make as much as I do - I think it is worthwhile for me to be able to explain to them concretely why I earn more then they do.

I would sure like to have the opposite discussion with a few clueless project managers who don't understand why their technical team has no respect for them and their huge salaries whilst not having to actually know anything of value.
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    It appears to be a highly kept secret here but I never kept that as a secret myself. I especially like to disclose my salary around people who are so secret about it, puts them in an awkward position and a smile on my face. I'm very open minded so I don't care. I've also noticed that people who are afraid of asking a direct question and instead ask "how's the pay, is it good?" and I shoot out the number, they instantly become more relaxed and tell me their salary without even me asking them.

Anyway, I never understood what's the big deal. So what if someone makes more or less money than me? How's this affect my life anyway? But if you're jealous type of person, then I really want to stick it to you.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never had issues with disclosing it - but in some companies I worked for, it is company policy not to reveal your salary.

Having said that - We had a pension guy in once and he had all salaries on a sheet of paper and pointed at your name asking if that is you and your salary - clearly not caring about confidentiality ...

Again, I didn't care about other people knowing what I earned, but I noticed that my own behaviour towards my manager changed. I don't want to say I was jealous, but I was peed off to see that a lazy a** guy like him could make that sort of money.

Because, even though I don't intend to, I compare salaries with skills etc., so whilst I don't care about disclosing my own salary - I prefer not to know anyone else's ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    No! Never do so, just don't do it trust me!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No, it's clearly against my companies policies.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »

What about if a family member or friend (outside your company) asks you?
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    For me, salary is a need to know basis. My supervisor, HR, my spouse, and IRS all need to know. My co-workers, recruiters, prospective employers do not.

Personally, I think it's one of those things that it's just not polite to discuss. I'll tell people I'm over 6 figures, but that's about it.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■

As Iris pointed out, in CA you are legally entitled to share your salary information with co-workers. It is the same here in MN as well. Now, it's certainly looked down upon at most companies, but in many states it is illegal to tell employees they cannot share salary information or to punish them for it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't mind telling my friends, family, or techexams :). However I have heard some horror stories of people telling co-workers. That is definitely not something I am willing to risk happening to me. I wish it was acceptable to talk about it with coworkers though.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    With friends and family, yes. Coworkers no. I never understood the taboo of discussing salary in social circles though, or how much your house cost. I could care less and if the discussion comes up and I'm asked I'll throw it out there. At work I don't know if its written policy but management definitely tells you not to disclose salary. And honestly I can't at work because I came into the team from another team that paid a lot more and I'm far and away the highest paid person on my team so that would probably cause friction.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod

I certainly understand the social stigma or the idea of it not being polite or comfortable for some people. I wouldn't personally ask anyone how much they make but if it's a mentor situation or I am extremely comfortable with a coworker, I'll share. You live in California, Daniel, so legally if they found out you told someone, they couldn't even write you up for it - Policy or no policy. I definitely would charge in there and shout it from the rooftops just to stick it to "the man" but they can't threaten you with your job for it either.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I have absolutly no issue with sharing the information. The Company frowns on it yeah. But I don't really care what they frown on. If someone asks me, yeah I'll tell them.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Most of my jobs had it clearly written in the employee handbook that discussion of salary or benefits was prohibited. That said, I have no issues discussing pay with friends, family, or people who do not work for my company but are in a similar field. Else, I try to avoid the topic.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll share with friends and family and that's about it. It never comes up at work - "hey what do you make"? That is just bizarre......
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't discuss it with co-workers, nope, never. As others have said, it is against policy. Plus, my current situation illustrates why it can cause friction.

In my current engagement, my "boss" was just promoted into a key role and we have been friends (along with a group of coworkers) since we started there a couple of years ago. Honestly, I felt he was in over his head when he got promoted, but he has done pretty well. In any event, I came in at a higher level than he did, although he has been promoted to my level. He has been commenting that he doesn't make as much as some people on the contract (which I think he is hinting to me). He isn't supposed to know that information as he isn't senior enough to be involved in salary discussions.

I think openly discussing it can only work in environments like the military where there is a published pay structure. And in the civilian world... I wouldn't work in a place like that... I did my time.

Discussing it creates situations where entitled people get upset about it and think that they should be paid the same wage for the same job, even if they aren't doing the job as well.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro