Options

Which path should I choose?

javakwonjavakwon Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am thinking what I should get after CCNA certification.

Path 1.

CCNA -> CCNP

Path 2.

CCNA -> CCDA -> CCNP

Path 3.

CCNA -> VCP-DV -> CCNP

I was told VMware is one of the most required in job market now.

How about CCDA?

Is it really helpful to get a job with CCDA?

Any advice will be appricated.

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    What is your end goal? What kind of position are you looking for eventually? That should be the primary driver in making your decision.
  • Options
    I have been working in IT field and am preparing to become a Network Administrator.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    What is your end goal? What kind of position are you looking for eventually? That should be the primary driver in making your decision.

Bingo!

What is it YOU want? We can't answer that but I would dare leave you with a few blanket statements

Want to be a Network Engineer? CCNA->CCNP R&S->One of the specialty tracks (Wireless, Voice, Security etc) in doing this you will have a solid foundation with your R&S that will make the other tracks muuuuuch easier.

Want to be a Sys Admin? Anything from MS to VMware certifications for you and to polish it up, perhaps a CCENT/CCNA just in case.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    javakwon wrote: »
    I have been working in IT field and am preparing to become a Network Administrator.

You answered after I wrote my last post. Ok, a Network Administrator hmmm. Lot's of time NA's are generalists and will handle everything from Telcom to Systems to Network. IT is one of the most complex professions because of the varying requirements by companies.

Technically as a Network Admin, I would realistically lean toward the Cisco track first and if you find yourself handling some System Administration items, you could always circle back and supplement that experience with a relevant certification track.

• Options
    Thank you for your advice.

I thought VMware is a part of the requirements to be a network admin.

How about CCDA? Is it one of the high demanding certifications in market now?
  • Options
    javakwon wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice.

I thought VMware is a part of the requirements to be a network admin.

How about CCDA? Is it one of the high demanding certifications in market now?

Again, one firms idea of a Network Administrator will be completely different from the next and so on. Titles can be misleading to be honest which is why paying close attention to the job description is important.

Start browsing some jobs in your area and pay attention to the job descriptions, you will get a feel for expectations based on titles but again one title here may not equal that title over there.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak to the CCDA.

• Options
    Thank you!!! I will keep in mind.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have seen CCDA mentioned on many job boards, I cant say that for the other CCNA specializations though. As for what path you should take, it is really all up too you. Personally my path is as follows. CCNA -> CCNP -> CCDA -> CCDP
  • Options
    Thank you for your advice and good luck with your exam as well!!!!!