Question on Google Drive Document Sharing

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have two users who are getting in to this. So if someone with experience can back me up on this, I would appreciate it. User 1 creates a spreadsheet on his local computer, then uploads it to Google Drive and shares it with User 2. User 2 has to download the file to work on it correct? I am of the understanding that this is the way it works unless the spreadsheet was created in Google docs, then they both could view and make changes to it online, correct?

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have always just done stuff in Excel and uploaded it to Google Drive and let Google convert it to Docs format. I think it would just be easier to create and work on it through the browser but it still creates a copy locally I think.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you edit it with google sheets you can do it online no need to download.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    If you're using the Google Drive program then you can open a file without having to copy it down first. As long as they had read/write access to it I see no reason why they couldn't just edit it on the fly. It wouldn't be a very good option if you both planned to have it open at the same time though as you would overwrite eachother.