Bosses boss asked me if I had a few minutes to talk..

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
then asked me if I wanted to take on a new lead engineer role within the company. So, I accepted! Should be a really fun position! Not a bad way to end the day!

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not at all! Gratz on the promotion/new role!
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks N2IT, pretty excited. It's not the first time I'll have been a lead, but there's a lot of opportunity in my company (whether that be going to management, straight sales, training, etc), so I'm hoping this will springboard me into a more visible position, and ultimately push things along with respect to my goals.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    You are the man! Congratulations!!! Teach me everything you know!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats, it's such a awesome position!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    then asked me if I wanted to take on a new lead engineer role within the company. So, I accepted! Should be a really fun position! Not a bad way to end the day!

Congrats, did you ask them to wait to add the additional responsibilities until after August? icon_study.gif
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Teach me everything you know!
    We already know how he racks servers.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good news!

I usually assume the worst when somebody asks me if I have a few minutes to talk lol
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We already know how he racks servers.

Perks of promotions :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Mrock!!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Definitely not what I thought this post was going to be about!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats Mrock!
    Thanks everyone! I have already been doing a couple of the duties of a lead, so it really won't be much of a change in that regard, but I'm sure there will be a slight additional load. Hopefully not too much due to the lab attempt nerdydad alluded to!

I do appreciate the "congrats" from everyone- I quite honestly expected the worst as I rarely talk to this guy. First thing tht came into my mind was "who did I tick off?"
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In situations like that, it has always amounted to three things:

1. I ticked someone off
    2. Someone is being fired
    3. Being asked to report in on a boss or my team
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations. I assume there will be an associated raise?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    In situations like that, it has always amounted to three things:

1. I ticked someone off
    3. Being asked to report in on a boss or my team

lol! My list of expectations in this situation are somewhat different:

1. I ticked someone off
    3. I am being fired
    dave330i wrote: »
    Congratulations. I assume there will be an associated raise?

There is, but I would have taken it without one..our organization is really great, but I think the lead position is really a great role, although time will tell. Our lead position is a bit different than typical lead roles- my last was more managerial, where this one is more of an advocate for training, promotions, etc- they're looking for someone who pretty much be a voice for the engineers, and keep morale up by maintaining good relationships with the engineers. We all work remotely, so we rarely work side by side- so one of my big functions is going to be bringing a sense of "team" to a distant workforce..which should be fun.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Awesome, congrats man!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So what you're saying is, there's an open position where you work? :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    LOL +1 for Zart

Congrats!

J
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome, Mike!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Thanks guys :)

Zartan- technically no! This is a new role..prior to this we had ~20 R&S engineers answering to one manager, and now we're going to have 5'ish engineers answering to one lead (who is on the same team), and then those leads report to the manager. On a side note, I am ALWAYS willing to refer TE members to our company (we'll split the bonus :)) as long as they're qualified. We have positions all around the U.S.

I got my "welcome to being a lead" message loud and clear today..I was supposed to head home this weekend (staged a bunch of gear for a multi-million dollar project in CA that we're deploying next month)...and be home for a few weeks, and got told I'm off to Miami for a project there that requires some R&S design skills. As soon as I'm done there, back to Cali to deploy this huge project. Fun times..
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Good news!

I usually assume the worst when somebody asks me if I have a few minutes to talk lol

Same here last week my boss pulled me aside and sits me down in a conference room conversation goes like this

Him: So you think your in trouble for something huh?
    Me: Not really but I wouldn't think so
    Him: (Laughs) ... We're here to discuss .... Your raise.

Man my boss kicks ass :D my point I always, ALWAYS assume the worst.
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Congrats! How would your peers feel about this promo? Do you do consulting on the side? I must've read this on another thread.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
    I'm a consultant full-time with my company, so this will be an additional duty. As to how my peers will feel- that is still to be determined since it hasn't been formally announced to the team. I haven't been with this company long, so I expect some level of skepticism, but in my past lead roles and current I made my team's professional development (certs, training) my #1 priority (often over my own)- so if there are any skeptics, I can hopefully win them over through time. In all fairness though, I'm not exactly brand new either, so I've worked with most of them in some way or another.

For this position I had to interview with 8 team leads (we have leads for UC, Wireless, data center, R&S, etc), and one question I got was "how do you gain the trust of your team?" My answer was "Well, trust is obviously earned, and I think at it's most basic form, trust is earned by doing what you say on a consistent basis, and keeping the team's needs high on the priority list." My answer still hasn't changed, so hopefully I'm right and that's how it goes!