A cheap Cisco router with VPN and Wireless/Wired?

BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
Morning,

I would like to set up VPN service for my out of office workers and wanted to know whats the cheapest Cisco solution. Whats a good priced Cisco router with VPN and wireless capabilities to buy?

I dont really want to pay too much money for one?

thanks

the replies will be appreciated.

Comments

• fiftyofiftyo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In this case you're probably better off building a linux/bsd box with openvpn/PPTP vpn server. For a better SSL vpn solution I'd suggest using the juniper mag series.
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Cisco 800 series is the cheapest ISR. If you want it just for VPN for a small amount of users, look into ASA 5505. It will cost about the same as 800 series or maybe even cheaper.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Kreken wrote: »
    Cisco 800 series is the cheapest ISR. If you want it just for VPN for a small amount of users, look into ASA 5505. It will cost about the same as 800 series or maybe even cheaper.

I completely agree and both models you mentioned immediately popped into my mind. 861w and ASA 5505 are both inexpensive and will provide you with your Routing/Wireless/VPN reqs and more. All for well under $1,000
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    If you want cheap don't go for Cisco. As others suggested pick a linux box or Vyatta or something of the sort. It would be cheaper, arguably better and it'd be good experience for you.
    Non-native English speaker
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    If you HAVE to go with Cisco, I agree with the above on ASA 5505 as long as it's a small amount of users. The last one I purchased with my corporate discount was around $500-550 range with the Smartnet contract. If this is a purchase through your company, then I would HIGHLY recommend getting a Smartnet contract for all your support needs

If you don't have to go with Cisco, Sett's idea above was a good one as well.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Bill3rdshiftBill3rdshift Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco/Linksys WRV210 VPN wireless router apx. $120. 802.11G and 100Mbps LAN. I have two clients that we deployed these in their remote medical offices. Truth be told, we had to roll back to the Linksys firmware to jive with the juniper net screen 5gt's at central location.

Get what you pay for. But they have been reliable for two years otherwise.
    Reading: Incident Response & Disaster Recovery, Server 2008r2 Administration, IT Security Interviews Exposed
    Telecom Info Page: http://telecom.tbi.net
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    ASA 5505 is great for small SOHO or real small branch office(5 or so users) that will provide reliable VPN Solution, however the ASA 5505 does not provide wireless access. You'll need a second device for that.

For an all-in-one box, I'd look for an 871w or an 881w. 881w's are newer and will be a bit more expensive 871w's will be cheaper if you buy them refurb, which I believe will be the only way to get the 871w since I do believe they are EoS nowadays replaced by the 881w.

Without providing us a budget it's hard to provide good solutions, however those are going to be the cheapest solutions without using a 'small business' solution or linksys solution.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I feel it needs to be said that while the Linux route and various free tools are certainly available to you as an option. Do not forget the administrative overhead that comes with those options.

YOU will be the sole line of support for those builds, meaning you won't be able to call technical support and get assistance. Your Linux knowledge and google skills will come into play there. This is by no means meant to push you one way or the other but one has to look at all pros and cons.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    I feel it needs to be said that while the Linux route and various free tools are certainly available to you as an option. Do not forget the administrative overhead that comes with those options.

YOU will be the sole line of support for those builds, meaning you won't be able to call technical support and get assistance. Your Linux knowledge and google skills will come into play there. This is by no means meant to push you one way or the other but one has to look at all pros and cons.
    If support is necessary, go with another vendor for example the juniper srx or something else.. The cisco asa seriously defines mediocrity when it comes to firewalls.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CISCO 800s series. The 861w (w = wireless) has the capacity for 5 VPN connections. While nothing spectacular, they're rock solid performers & given your a CCENT you'll at least understand the CLI. I'm guessing in the $500 dollar range give or take?
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    fiftyo wrote: »
    The cisco asa seriously defines mediocrity when it comes to firewalls.

Disagree. I think the word you're searching for is Sonicwall.