EIGRP Triangle - Load balancing

iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
I have a question regarding EIGRP load balancing across a triangle.

I have two routers on site, connected by a 1 km fibre to fastethernet ports. Each router has a 4mb serial link to a single remote location (which I have access to control), effectively giving me a triangle.

With the serial bandwidths all being set to 4000, the fibre bandwidth as 100000, and all delays set to 100, then the each router has the same FD to reach any subnets past the remote site. That means that they will not consider any routes from the other router to be feasible successors, as each router will advertise the same AD to each other, which will be the same as the FD. Therefore the addition of the fibre hop, even with a delay of 1, breaks the AD<FD rule and the link is not considered.

I've been going over the maths, and I reckon that if I make one serial link have a low delay and the other a relatively high delay, I can manipulate it to enter two routes in the routing table, but only on one of the routers at this end - the other will always only use one link.

Is that the most efficient way of solving the problem, or is there a better way to work with triangles?
Current objective: CCNA Security
My blog: mybraindump.co.uk

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What problem exactly are you trying to solve? Sounds like something to mess around with in a lab but I wouldn't do it in a production environment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.