Options

I like relating technology to users and non tech people, am I destined for managing?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
As much as the occasional user (or every user in some of your cases), is able to get on my nerves, at the end of the day I find great satisfaction is being able to look at someone in the face when their issue has been resolved, as much as I like seeing green lights letting me know everything is working properly.

Looking forward into my career, I honestly can't see myself ever becoming a full on tech guy with little to no interaction with "regular" people, the machines alone would drive me insane icon_rolleyes.gif. I also very much value whatever "soft skills" that I may have, as I find it makes people be more inclined to working with me, as opposed to the guy next to me.

Does this mean that I'm destined for a future in IT management? Before College I always saw myself as eventually getting to managing an IT Department. The older I get the more I realize this may be where I fit in the most.
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    It might, but depending on how long you've been in IT that may change. This seems to be a common first impression until people get tired of dealing with users directly and get more fascinated in the technology itself.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with Akaricloud. A lot of people come in worrying about the not dealing with people part. Honestly though dealing with users or customers gets old quick. Explaining something once or twice is cool, but after the 100th time it's just an annoyance. I'd never take another job doing this.

If you aren't the type to grow tired of it then maybe management, or sales etc is the way to go for you. You are the only one that can answer that. Give it a little time though if you haven't already.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    As much as the occasional user (or every user in some of your cases), is able to get on my nerves, at the end of the day I find great satisfaction is being able to look at someone in the face when their issue has been resolved, as much as I like seeing green lights letting me know everything is working properly.

Looking forward into my career, I honestly can't see myself ever becoming a full on tech guy with little to no interaction with "regular" people, the machines alone would drive me insane icon_rolleyes.gif. I also very much value whatever "soft skills" that I may have, as I find it makes people be more inclined to working with me, as opposed to the guy next to me.

Does this mean that I'm destined for a future in IT management? Before College I always saw myself as eventually getting to managing an IT Department. The older I get the more I realize this may be where I fit in the most.

Managing an IT department will result in a lot of interaction.

I've a similar path in mind. More interested in the businessy, project management, CIO level stuff than straight up tech work.

Quark sums it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz-MepaJCM4

=P
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nyblizzard wrote: »

There are many other "IT" roles that would fit your skill set. Look into Field Engineering or Sales Engineering. You get to work with people every day and still be technical. That field is growing rapidly and it pays well.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are many other "IT" roles that would fit your skill set. Look into Field Engineering or Sales Engineering. You get to work with people every day and still be technical. That field is growing rapidly and it pays well.

Hmmmm.... this is the first time that I've ever heard of these sort of fields. Will look into them thank you sir
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agree with Akaricloud. A lot of people come in worrying about the not dealing with people part. Honestly though dealing with users or customers gets old quick. Explaining something once or twice is cool, but after the 100th time it's just an annoyance. I'd never take another job doing this .

This perfectly sums up the situation I find myself in now lol I will relish the day I no longer have to deal with end users
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a trainer or business analyst role to me.