Options

Is this normal when putting in 2 weeks?

saffyresaffyre Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Recently had a offer I just could not refuse. 25% pay increase. Full benefits package, which I currently have none. A ton more experience in the areas I need. It was a little risky, but I have completely gotten grief when I tried to put in my 2 weeks.
Current Employer went as far to tell me that my decision is not a good one, and that I need to rethink it. Is this normal? It really made for a terrible day.

The really big deal for me is gaining Virtualization, and Cisco experience.
WGU Progress: Network Design and Management: started 04/12
Courses transfered: CSV1, WFV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, AXV1, CPV1, INC1, INT1, DFV1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1 (64 CU) Courses Completed: CRV1, CTV1, CUV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1(30 CU)
Courses needed: BOV1, BNC1, TPV1, SBT1, RCT1 (20 CU)
Courses in progress: BIV1 (6 CU)

Comments

• Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    They are full of crap if they are expecting you to feel bad while offering zero benefits and presumably a low salary. Sounds like your decision isn't a good one...for them. I assume they're paying less than market rate for your skills.

At this point it's definitely things are over with. Don't let them sweet talk you into staying with talks of promotions, bonuses etc. They are probably already looking for your replacement.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your current employer is likely fearful of losing you and the thought of training someone up to replace you made them jittery. A good boss/manager would have been more supportive though surprised. Tell them politely that this new role is in your best interests and in line with your career goals. No need to go into details about the new package, you may make them give you even more grief.

Once you put the notice in, NEVER accept the counter-offer. Even if they say they'll match or surpass the 25% increase or give you more work or gift you a sports car, say no and that you've made up your mind and the decision is final. (dunno know about the car!)
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the support guys. I don't plan to take any counter-offers. The new job is 60k salary. About a 15k increase. 2 weeks vacation, 5 days sick time, fully paid health. I currently get.... paid christmas off... Awesome deal there.

The comments were everything from: They can't afford you, to we don't need you... Wow? I was offered a bonus... of about 1.5k.... to stay, but it was a bonus they *ALREADY PLANNED TO GIVE* in their words... Seriously? Give me a break.
    Courses transfered: CSV1, WFV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, AXV1, CPV1, INC1, INT1, DFV1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1 (64 CU) Courses Completed: CRV1, CTV1, CUV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1(30 CU)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like the current employer is really showing their true colors- which if anything should definitely make you feel better about moving on. Good luck with the new gig! I left a similar role and haven't looked back since.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the new position!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    **I wrote this before reading the entire thread I didn't think there was more D'oh.... Your going to be much better off they aren't willing to do anything to keep you, their loss move on and enjoy the new position**

I look at it like he values you as an employee. Rather than saying "Oh I'm sorry to hear that" he'd rather indireclty sway you and use your emotions to keep you. I can see this as a positive and a negative. Personally I'd rather be told to my face "I highly regard you as an outstanding employee and vauled team member, what can I do to get you to stay" rather than cut you down and cast doubt.

This is also a good chance to possibly negotiate because the ball is in their court you have nothing to lose here. Unless you are dead set on leaving be firm and don't let your emotions get the best of you, obviously you started looking and have been interviewing for a reason. It is just business and employees come and go it is the nature of the business. If you had no benefits though I could see your boss also thinking your cheap and replaceing you is going to cost a lot more or something along those lines.

If your set on leaving now is the time to shore up anything I'm not sure of your position but you have an MCSA and MCITP: EA so I'm guessing your a system administrator (if I'm wrong sorry) but I'd take the time to gather any important documents, passwords get all your ducks in a row so when you leave the IT department can continue carrying on while your position is left absent.

Don't take it personally your not in the wrong here your doing what is best for you, its just bussiness. Good luck in your next position I'd love to hear an update after you get settled. When do you start at the new job?
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like your decision isn't a good one...for them.

Spot on.
  • Options
    wweboy wrote: »

If your set on leaving now is the time to shore up anything I'm not sure of your position but you have an MCSA and MCITP: EA so I'm guessing your a system administrator (if I'm wrong sorry) but I'd take the time to gather any important documents, passwords get all your ducks in a row so when you leave the IT department can continue carrying on while your position is left absent.

Don't take it personally your not in the wrong here your doing what is best for you, its just bussiness. Good luck in your next position I'd love to hear an update after you get settled. When do you start at the new job?

Thanks for the support! I am actually a IT Consultant. Moving to another IT Consultant company to gain some more experience. This company has a bit of larger customers who use virtualization, and Cisco switches/routers. Will need to learn some more on IOS, etc. I've also been told I will be sent to fully paid bootcamps to speed up the learning process. That part is not in writing, but they really have no reason to lie about it. Worst case I just pick the stuff up on my own. The new company title will be System Administrator, but my current title is Assistant Manager... Been with this company for 6 years.
  • Options
    So a slight update: On friday, I was asked if I had changed my mind. I said no, and they started making comments like: Good, because i'm interviewing your replacement today. Now today they are consistently making comments about how I am going to change my mind on the last day, or that I am going to chicken out moving to a new company. Wow, I think someone said it already, but they are REALLY showing their true colors. I've filled out all paperwork for the new company. Don't really have any regrets or second thoughts anymore either. Even if I didn't have this job for more than a year, I am glad to get away from a company who acts like this.

I am currently training another guy, but they have told him it would take him a few years to "compare" to me. *WOW*..... Did I just not open my eyes in the past?

Thanks for everyones support during this trying time, with my current situation.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    saffyre wrote: »
    So a slight update: On friday, I was asked if I had changed my mind. I said no, and they started making comments like: Good, because i'm interviewing your replacement today. Now today they are consistently making comments about how I am going to change my mind on the last day, or that I am going to chicken out moving to a new company. Wow, I think someone said it already, but they are REALLY showing their true colors. I've filled out all paperwork for the new company. Don't really have any regrets or second thoughts anymore either. Even if I didn't have this job for more than a year, I am glad to get away from a company who acts like this.

I am currently training another guy, but they have told him it would take him a few years to "compare" to me. *WOW*..... Did I just not open my eyes in the past?

Thanks for everyones support during this trying time, with my current situation.

Wow, sounds like an outstanding company icon_rolleyes.gif. Might want to tip off the new guy also..

Congrats on the new position, I'm sure it'll be much better!
  • Options
    badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    Once you give notice, do not waver. Especially when it advances your career, provides better benefits and above all else, pays more money.

A professional should never burn any bridges, but when absolutely necessary, "may the bridges that I burn behind me light the path that lay ahead of me".
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    saffyre wrote: »

As much as you dislike them, do your best to be unfailingly polite, and even helpful (if they haven't pushed you too far).

What happens when you change jobs is that suddenly your boss and coworkers become part of your network, and it's best to leave on a positive note.

And besides, what goes around comes around. You go out there and take your new job and be outstandingly successful, and don't have any regrets. Live life to the fullest! Take over the world!

And then post about it - we all enjoy follow-ups. :)
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A supervisor/manager should never hold someone back! Go for the new job if it has what you are looking for.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Sounds like the current employer is really showing their true colors- which if anything should definitely make you feel better about moving on. Good luck with the new gig! I left a similar role and haven't looked back since.

This!

I would let your current employers comments go in one ear and immediately out the other. YOU are the most important when it comes to your career path and you have to make the decisions YOU feel are best for you and your future.

It's nothing personal, just business.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    After reading this thread you can see smoke coming out of my ears. It sickens me to see such rude and unprofessional behavior from employers. Kudos for being the bigger person.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was lucky to have nothing but support from my previous employer and coworkers as I moved into my new position. I can't imagine being treated this way and it's a shame this happened to you. Best of luck in your new role, sounds like you're taking the high road on the way out.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The real sad thing is that there are a lot of Businesses that run this way. All they think about is themselves and the bottom line. Don't get me wrong, a business needs to protects it's bottom line. But there are times when they go a little to far. I would thank your current employer for the job you had there. Turn down all counter offers, with a smile and a big wave. What a pitiful display of work place boundary breaking. They sound more like they will miss you, rather then looking out for your Best. I would have a heard time keeping a straight face while they were telling me what you heard.

Congrads on the new JOB
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked for HP long time ago and the managers needed(it was one of their goals) to reduce the rotation(people quitting, new people coming in) so they used to say that BS about the new opportunities and also used to BS people about better schedule and pay raise asap. He could be doing the same.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    They are soooo bitter, I'm glad you jumped ship but what took you so long? 6 years with no benefits, less pay? This explains why they didn't want you to leave.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    Honestly,
    I think I sorta gave into the bosses words. Naive. I was always told by my current boss that we were paid well for the area we were in. I never had much need to look for another job, because they treated me decently. The 1 time I did look for a new job, I didn't get a interview, and the issues I was having subsided. Once I finished my MCITP, I started to get headhunted and realizing that I really was NOT paid well. I started to look around and I saw job positions for Network Engineers with Salary listed at 95,000 - 105,000. Paid well under 1/2 that. After that point things just started to not go well. Promised a raise, that I did not end up getting. It was "Delayed"... then I was also told once I became a MCITP i'd get a very large raise. Then when I became a MCITP. The new 2012 MCSE came out and they tried to play it as that is what they wanted me to get, not the MCITP and that it was not the same. Really the broken promises finished up the deal for me. I started to look around for experience I needed to become the network engineer, and it just so happens that the place I applied at was paying *A LOT* more.... Talked through interviews, tech interview, etc... All took about a month... Then I just decided to bite... As for the benefits. Besides the vacation time and such. The wife is a nurse, so I had no need for health insurance.
  • Options
    chmod wrote: »
    I worked for HP long time ago and the managers needed(it was one of their goals) to reduce the rotation(people quitting, new people coming in) so they used to say that BS about the new opportunities and also used to BS people about better schedule and pay raise asap. He could be doing the same.
    Well, to talk about rotation... At the current place we have had about 17 employees, not all at the same time, but some quit and get replaced, etc. Out of those 17 employees. There will be 4 left, after I leave. I am the oldest employee at 6 years, and one guy is at 5 1/2 right behind me. The other 3 current employees are 2 years or less. We've had at most 7 employees at once. All of this within the time I have been there.