Options

Second Bachelors vs Masters

the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
I got my Bachelors in Information Systems (something I seriously regret...wish I did either CompSci or Mathematics). Now, I'm trying to decide between getting a second bachelors (probably mathematics) or just getting a Masters in Info Systems Security (since I can't get accepted to a CompSci or Mathematics Masters program). I'm currently leaning towards doing a second bachelors. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Why can't you get accepted into a CS masters program? If you don't have some of the higher level math/cs classes from the undergraduate degree most let you fulfill those requirements and gain admittance If you are considering another 4 yr degree, you would be taking those classes regardless. Seems to me, you'd be better off taking those undergraduate classes needed to gain admittance to the masters and then go for the masters.

My 2 cents. I have only a BS personally.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    I'm in a similar situation myself. I have a BA in Political Science, and was torn between a BS in CS, or an MS in Infosec. I am going to go the MS route. From what advice I've seen on this forum and gotten from management at my company, the subject matter of my degrees isn't as important as the simple fact of having them. Once the Bachelor's and Master's boxes are checked, lots of doors open. Most tech job posting's I've seen say that they are looking for a BS in CS or a related field. With a second BS you still qualify for those same jobs, but with an MS you will qualify for a whole new tier of jobs.

I don't really know if it's the 'right' answer, but it's the logic I've been designing my plan around. I'll be interested to see what advice others have.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What is your end goal, career wise?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I was considering mathematics because there have been several occasions, when attempting to develop security tools, that my inability to understand distinct cryptographic algorithms has really stood in the way.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why not just take the appropriate math classes you need to understand the math behind the cryptographic algorithms? Yeah it may be 4-6 high level math classes but thats still a lot less than having to get a second bachelors degree. I think getting another bachelors is a bit too much.
  • Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not just take the approiate math classes you need to understand the math behind the cryptographic algorithms? Yeah it may be 4-6 high level math classes but thats still a lot less than having to get a second bachelors degree. I think getting another bachelors is a bit too much.

the_hutch, have you also taken a look at some of the free course offerings that Stanford provides? Stanford Online . Some are cryptography and various mathematics classes. They may not provide the in depth level of understanding that you're searching for, but they're fairly good.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As someone pursuing a CS bachelors, my vote is to go for a CS master's. Not because CS bachelors aren't good, but because as others are saying, you can probably take any missing courses and then get into the masters without actually pursuing a second BS entirely. I would at least look into the option.

Otherwise, honestly, I think you should go for the masters unless you really want to shift hard into programming. A reputable MS in InfoSec is definitely as good as a BS in CS.

The school makes a big difference, though, both for actual educational quality and for reputation. If ITT started offering MS in ISS, I would recommend you get a second BS any day over that.

At the end of the day, if your real goal is to get more into development areas and your knowledge gaps are the problem, then the CS route isn't bad. I'm going CS even though I'm well into a successful career that rarely involves programming, because I think I could be even more successful utilizing those programming skills. But I don't have a bachelor's degree, so it will add value to my resume even if I stay in pure infrastructure roles. Since you already have a bachelor's degree, I definitely think an MS would add more resume value while a 2nd BS would add little, but if it's about what you want to do and not your resume, go CS all the way.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Masters will carry more weight vs. 2nd BS.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Alright...based on general consensus, I'm looking into some back work and independent courses, as opposed to a full degree plan. Thanks to everyone for your opinions.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hutch I am in the same boat! But I am leaning towards the second bachelors in Computer Science. I have a couple reasons for this. First, since I'm having a hard time getting a security role I want out of the support desk. Too many "I can't print" or "install this software for me" has started to drive me over the edge. I figure at least in this case, I could be coding instead. Of course, if programmers have to do support, but at least it's something different. Second, devops is something that really interests me, but I lack the programming. Finally, once I do make that move to security programming is a must.

It seems to me a lot of Masters aren't geared towards those with a degree in something else so I figure I need the base you'd get with a BS in Computer Science. That's my two cents.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Hutch I am in the same boat! But I am leaning towards the second bachelors in Computer Science. I have a couple reasons for this. First, since I'm having a hard time getting a security role I want out of the support desk. Too many "I can't print" or "install this software for me" has started to drive me over the edge. I figure at least in this case, I could be coding instead. Of course, if programmers have to do support, but at least it's something different. Second, devops is something that really interests me, but I lack the programming. Finally, once I do make that move to security programming is a must.

It seems to me a lot of Masters aren't geared towards those with a degree in something else so I figure I need the base you'd get with a BS in Computer Science. That's my two cents.

I'm not sure a bachelors in CS will assist you in getting a security role. It's possible that it could assist you in getting out of a support role, however. While programming is beneficial in security, it's not necessarily a must. There are plenty of security jobs that require 0 programming, though the ability to automate things will make you more effective. You can pick up a lot of programming skills without spending $xxxx.00 on schooling. Zed Shaw's learnpythonthehardway is a good intro resource in case you've had limited exposure to programming.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm in a similar situation myself. I have a BA in Political Science, and was torn between a BS in CS, or an MS in Infosec. I am going to go the MS route. From what advice I've seen on this forum and gotten from management at my company, the subject matter of my degrees isn't as important as the simple fact of having them. Once the Bachelor's and Master's boxes are checked, lots of doors open. Most tech job posting's I've seen say that they are looking for a BS in CS or a related field. With a second BS you still qualify for those same jobs, but with an MS you will qualify for a whole new tier of jobs.

I don't really know if it's the 'right' answer, but it's the logic I've been designing my plan around. I'll be interested to see what advice others have.

These are my thoughts exactly. Get a masters in security or information systems that should trump a bs in comp sci requirement.
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    This is just like deciding between a bunch of beginner certificates and one advanced certificate. I still believe it's better to be good at one thing rather than being average at many things.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @the_hutch - After completing the BS-IT at WGU, I plan to get into this MS in CS program: M.S. Program in Computer Science . As the page says: "Admission Requirements: (1) Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited college or university. (3) Have taken the following courses: two semesters of calculus, one semester of linear algebra, two semesters of programming in high-level languages, one semester of programming in assembly language, and one semester in data structures."

I plan to do the "two semesters of calculus and one semester of linear algebra" here: https://is.lsu.edu/courselist.asp?cat=Mathematics&nid=102&pg= (it costs about $150 per credit by correspondence). the "two semesters of programming in high-level languages" I hope to get from WGU's Java course. the "one semester of programming in assembly language, and one semester in data structures" I plan to do here: SUNY Learning Network (it costs about $150 per credit for NY residents at a SUNY Community College).
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like the idea of getting a mathematics degree (MSc) Just my two cents.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    I think it's not about the naming of the degree (BSc or MSc or..), you need to aim at what you want to actually learn, and for that you don't really 'need' a degree.

Want to learn cryptography? take courses in Algorithms, Coding theory, discreet maths, and then crypto courses. Check Khan Academy and Coursea. For this you don't need a degree. (PS: I ordered a cryptography book last week from amazon)

Degrees vary by content, so best bet is to search for the courses you want and get them. You can take individual courses separately at uni without enrolling in the entire degree. if you ask me, it's a waste to take a theoretical course on distributed system and coding theory when all you need is some coding skills in C++. I think a formal degree in Mathematics is very far from what you need, a CS degree will be much more relevant IMHO.

just my 2cents.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com