Options

New to IT and in need of some direction

HardwareGnomeHardwareGnome Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys. I am new to IT(I have never had an IT job before), and I am looking for a bit of direction. I am due to graduate college soon with a liberal arts degree, which is pretty much useless in the current job market, so I am turning to my long time computer hobby for new opportunities. I know that the A+ is is the basic intro certification, but I don't really know where to go from there. In my area(NY metro), almost every job listing that I've seen on Dice, or any other site, requires a BS in computer science and a ton of experience. Are there any "big deal" certification that could at least partially make up for my lack of those? I may be new to the professional IT field, but I am not illiterate. I have been building and working with computers for years as a hobby or to help out friends. What fields of IT are hot right now? Is there a reasonably easy way to break into any of them? I'm pretty much open. Any direction or input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If this is not your last semester I would *highly* recommend seeing if your college hires student workers in IT positions. It's an excellent foot in the door and a way to get XP on your resume.
  • Options
    HardwareGnomeHardwareGnome Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually did. They are only open to CS students, and wouldn't start until the Fall anyway...

Edit: This is my last semester, so the Fall obviously doesn't help.
  • Options
    JuanNoExperienceJuanNoExperience Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi my name is JUAN and I have an international business degree but have began my interest in technology and have taken a role in sales im at the bottom of the food went thru training but i still feel like a caveman I want to know what adivce anyone may have on how and where i can go to learn about servers and learning about IT equipment in general our ocmpany specifies in cisco networking as well workstations desktops labotps and components.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are there 'big deal' certifications? Yes; however a legitimate big deal certification probably isn't in the realm of possibility for someone who has never worked in IT before. That is not an insult btw. When I think 'big deal' certs I think expert-level: CCIE, CISSP, etc.

I always thought running through the CompTIA's was a good idea for fresh IT faces not only because it gives your resume' IT accreditation, but because it helps you decide if you like the topic or not. Don't like A+? Well, you know you won't want to work in helpdesk/desktop support for long. Enjoy Net+? There are various network administration certifications that range from mid-level to expert-level. Same with Security+ - All of these certifications take a bird's eye view of a broad field and will help guide you.

As far as breaking into a field, the best advice I can give is to strive to be the best at your current level. Work hard and someone will take a chance on you.

Good luck
  • Options
    glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm, well, I always say start out with your A+ and try getting your foot in the door somewhere to get the experience. As for the CCIE and CISSP, yes, those are nice certifications but you'll need years of real world experience to go along with them. I'd go with your A+, Net+ and Sec+ to get a good foundation going. Experience is definitely a plus, too. Unfortunately you'll probably have to start at the bottom somewhere, most of us were all new to IT at some point. Good luck :)
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Start with the Comptia trio (A+, Net+, Sec+) and use multiple search engines like Indeed and craigslist. Yes, Craigslist! Also look at your local telecoms. Could start out on the phones with a decent pay, benefits, and free service!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's really tough to get a good IT job these days, even with a relevant degree. A good place to start would be to learn a few simple and profitable skills that will allow you to work for yourself while you look for a "real" job.

Oddly enough, two easy skills that can net you some serious cash include web design and surveillance system installation. If you model yourself right, you could start out making $1,000 profit per project, with upwards of $5,000+ per project once you get some experience under your belt. There are a ton of resources out there to help get you started in these ares. Not only is the money good, but you can now go into interviews saying that you started a successful business in a rough economy.

Another great idea is to volunteer at non-profit organizations to help them out with basic IT needs. Be sure to ask for referrals/recommendations, and use these to build your resume. Also look into groups like Hackers for Charity for additional projects to gain experience with. Lastly, check out some paid freelance work on sites like elance, odesk, guru, and workmarket.

And yes, pursue those certifications. Start with the CompTIA trio to get a good foundation in the major areas of IT and then pursue more advanced training once you have an idea of what you want to do.

There you have it; now you're going into an interview with three certifications, a Bachelor's degree, a successful side business, a ton of volunteer/freelance experience, and professional references up the wazoo. You're a stand-out candidate that's likely to impress just about any interviewer.