Options

Should I hold to this job or resign before being fired?

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I started a position for a well known computer manufacturer position, in which I have to do an service call to clients at residential and/or business to replace desktops and laptops devices (motherboard, memory, heatsink, power supply, etc.). I have now been there for almost a month and have been messing up, (not completing calls, customers complaints and laptops not working). My manager, who works remotely asked me if I can do this job and ask me why I only completed a call out of about 6 or 7 call? And I get the feeling that I'll be terminated. Should I keep this job and try to be good at it even if I am fired or resign?

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Is this your first IT job? If so, there's always an adjustment phase. Your boss may or may not be ok with that but don't be too hard on yourself and work to improve your knowledge. I would recommend taking some extra time after hours and watching what your peers do to resolve calls, reading more documentation for common applications that you get calls about, and showing your boss that you really want to be there by taking his instruction. If they fire you after that, well... it sucks but you move on and you find somewhere that will be a good learning environment instead of not giving you a chance.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Polynomial: Misplacement of parts in the client's laptops (wiring, laptop's bezel, motherboard and screws) only finishing 1 or 2 calls out of 5 or 6 for the day, still learning how to taking apart laptops with a good amount of speed but taking 2 to 3 hours to get it completed are what causing my failures

@Iristheangel: This isn't my first IT job
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Quality over quantity + attention to detail

Does your job provide any documentation on how to take apart laptops? I would also recommend watch some YouTube videos and take notes on various models.

Is there a possibility for shadowing a coworker to help you in the long run?
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    So you're doing hardware repairs? I used to do that stuff contracting through Onforce all the time. The way I eliminated time was immediately looking up the service guide for the model number of the laptop and finding the part I needed to swap. Those service guides are a godsend. They'll tell you step-by-step with diagrams for each part and minimizes the time. Most of the major vendors have them available to the public on their site: Dell, HP, Acer, etc. If you can't find it on their site, check Fixit.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com