Options

I think my supervisors want me to quit. What should I do?

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Over the past two weeks I've been feeling that my manager and supervisor don't want me there anymore and are trying to make me leave. One of them have been unnecessarily rude to me and I've been called to have a talk with them behind closed doors on few occasions to discuss my performance and their expectations. I feel like they're picking on me. Last time I was called in they talked to me about coming to them with questions and that I need to figure things out on my own instead of coming to them for advice. I don't go to them too often and when I do it's usually not a technical advice that I need. I felt like they were saying in a professional way that I'm annoying them with my questions and distracting them from doing their work. At this point I feel uncomfortable going to them and talk to them about a work-related topic and this depresses me. I may be wrong but I think they're trying to make me leave without saying it. What should I do?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Look for a new job. no sense in staying if you are uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice! I was thinking about starting to look for a new job somewhere else. I guess I should do that.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Sounds like you have two options:

1) Pull them aside and have an honest conversation. Say something along the lines of "Look, I get the feeling I'm really letting you both down lately and I really appreciate my position here at the company. I want to make sure that I know your expectations of me and that I'm meeting them. What is it that you want me to work on and things I can improve on and I'll commit to working on them." Sometimes showing initiative that you know something is wrong and that you're willing to work on it will go a LONG way if they are reasonable people. If that doesn't work, skip to option two.
    2) Keep working, save your pennies and look hard for another job while you're dealing with the crap
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I find my gut reaction is usually correct, so I suggest yours.

Without knowing the situation like you do, all I have to go on is your information. It does sound like they POTENTIALLY trying to weed you out. You can fight or flight.

Sounds like your management is very hands off and doesn't want to be bugged with service desk questions. Can you go to your peers instead?

In the past working at the desk, it was common knowledge never to go to the manager with tech questions. You use your peers for that or SME in other departments. The manager is usually very operational and doesn't want to be bothered with low level question. (Just my opinion)

I would start looking, but I would also ask how you could better improve yourself.

Good luck with your situation.
  • Options
    Thank you Iris! They talked to me in bullet points about what they wanted me to improve on, figuring things out on my own and not being afraid of making mistakes as one of them, and said they'll also e-mail me those bullet points. I just feel like some of the things they said were unwarranted and that they're trying to get rid of me.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Most have already given you sound advice.

If you have received their 'honest' feedback, then the ball is in your court to correct the problem. They may still want you out-of-there. And it may be nothing more than your personality doesn't work within the current environment. I know some folks get upset about things like this, but if you have ever built a team up, had a space to add a new member, add the new member, but the new member despite lots of effort doesn't gel with the group...it is not a good fit. Unfortunate, but sometimes that is just the fact, so work with your best effort and gain the knowledge you can gain and look elsewhere (who wants to be where they are not wanted???). The will likely give you a good recommendation if you make whatever adjustments they suggested so that you do help you move on.

My guess is whatever you told them in the interview, they are not seeing and therefore have lost confidence you can make the grade at this point. Happens. Chalk it up to experience. Learn from it. Move forward. Don't take it personal - easier said then done, but really, some atmospheres are not conducive to all personality types this place may not be your place...but the next one might be perfect!

BTW - when you ask others for their 'opinion' (which is what you did when you asked them "what might I do better?") you unfortunately do not get to judge whether or not their comments were 'warranted'. It sounds like you might be asking them for more information than you truly realize you are asking for and this happens to many folks who are just starting out. Try to carry a notepad with you and jot down your questions rather than asking them to your boss all the time. Then during the day seek out solutions and learn. If you are asking 'where is the crimping tool?", you may simply need to go to the tool box or cabling supplies and look rather than ask aloud. If after you have physically looked in a few logical places and still cannot locate something, then ask. Find the balance between time savings and time wasting.

I would not give up yet, because if you don't learn from this place (on how to deal with others) this problem will follow you. If you keep track of the types of questions you run into even just for one week, you'll likely find out for yourself how much you are bothering your boss and coworkers rather than doing the task on your own.

This experience will most likely make you a much stronger team member down the road. Chin up!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    If your not being treated with respect, find a new job. Life is too short to work for some rude @sshole.

Also, when a person quits a job on their own accord, that person is not eligible for unemployment benefits. This is why some companies will try to force an employee out rather than fire or lay them off.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Sounds like you have two options:

1) Pull them aside and have an honest conversation. Say something along the lines of "Look, I get the feeling I'm really letting you both down lately and I really appreciate my position here at the company. I want to make sure that I know your expectations of me and that I'm meeting them. What is it that you want me to work on and things I can improve on and I'll commit to working on them." Sometimes showing initiative that you know something is wrong and that you're willing to work on it will go a LONG way if they are reasonable people. If that doesn't work, skip to option two.

2) Keep working, save your pennies and look hard for another job while you're dealing with the crap

Honestly, it doesn't get any better than that right there!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    If you are asking 'where is the crimping tool?", you may simply need to go to the tool box or cabling supplies and look rather than ask aloud. If after you have physically looked in a few logical places and still cannot locate something, then ask. Find the balance between time savings and time wasting.

Great advice Plantwiz!
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think IristheAngel and Plantwiz are both offering excellent advice. Also, either I missed it or you didn't mention how long you've been with this organization? A couple months or a couple years. That may help with some perspectives in case you're a recent hire and not gelling with the team. Or perhaps if you've been there a while, and have new managers?

As IristheAngel points out, being honest with them and honest with yourself about shortcomings can go a long way if you're managers are reasonable. Believe me I got shortcomings myself, so I have to learn to accentuate the positives, minimize my negatives, and work well within the team. We all have to work with others similarly, and I find being honest about it helps, at least with reasonable peers and managers.

If you are asking too many questions, I can honestly say that's often a gripe of mine with lower-level techs and admins. If a tech comes to me with a well-researched, studied solution, even if it's wrong I'm impressed. Few of the lower leveled techs on my team seem to bother to even Google an issue. I'm the Exchange admin, but get way too many helpdesk tickets that are basic Outlook issues that a desktop tech simply didn't bother to research at all. If that sounds like something your managers have discussed, learn how to research. Find solutions. And then those few times you have to ask questions they'll know you at least have exhausted the resources available.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    aaron0011 wrote: »
    If your not being treated with respect, find a new job. Life is too short to work for some rude @sshole.

Too true.
    aaron0011 wrote: »
    Also, when a person quits a job on their own accord, that person is not eligible for unemployment benefits. This is why some companies will try to force an employee out rather than fire or lay them off.

Employers also are concerned that if you leave on bad terms, you're going to be more likely to sue. Easier to lay off than terminate for cause, and (seemingly) much less risk to make an employee walk rather than the first two options. Some employers are silly enough not to realize that if they make you walk, if you've built up documentation you might still have a valid legal complaint-- there are certain employer behaviors for which there are legal precedents in favor of the departing employee.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers