Options

Rejected by the blue shirts!!

Mann i must be doing something wrong... I had interview at best buy as sale associate, and didnt get the job.... I interviewed perfect, I know more about computers than half the people who work there. I showed that i would be able to sales, and help people but NOOOOOOO I DIDNT EVEN GET THAT JOB.

Rejected from 2 jobs within 2 weeks its so annnoying.. I know its not a IT job, but still.. Since i have a class one mondays I stopped looking for many IT helpdesk/desktop support jobs because most are full time, unless they are work at home but i never see those and doubt i could get with out experiences. Not sure what i am asking here but i kinda want to rant. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? or suggestions on a route to take. I mean i am struggling getting to school I really need job.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep plugging away man, you'll get there soon enough. Perhaps look at some NOC type jobs which usually have 3 shifts and you could choose the one that suits you. Search for a helpdesk position that can let you get on the graveyard shift. Sure the hours will suck, but you'll have a job, the money will begin to come in and you'll build the experience. My first job was doing the graveyard shift at a much maligned ISP, crazy hours from midnight-9am. It'll eff up your sleeping initially but eventually you'll get used to it.

Even if the positions say they want experience, apply anyway. Maybe you can win them over with positive attitude and enthusiasm. That's exactly how I got my first role. They asked for 1-2 years of experience, I applied any way, got the call for an interview and blew their socks off with my desire to learn. Got the job in an hour.

Have you had your resume critiqued on here?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    Yeah i got it critiqued here but it can probably still use a lot of work, and alright thanks i will look into that
  • Options
    SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    prob over qualified or maybe they were worried you would take their position, it does happen.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't worry about this...it is usually hard to get in if you don't know anyone currently working there. And as a ex Geek Squad agent, you can make more $$$ else where.

Keep applying a search for jobs who are looking for N+
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Unfortunately you do not have the required prerequisite to be a Best Buy Associate which is your head firmly implanted in your behind... The company is sinking fast, you are better off elsewhere. Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Best Buy has absolutely no consistent logic in their hiring techniques... I can't tell you how many of my tech savvy friends were rejected from there, only to have the position filled by someone with no tech knowledge whatsoever.

Just the other day, I was in my local store when I overheard an associate telling a customer that upgrading to Windows 8 will automatically make your PC touch screen... Unbelievable.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ive been in BB as well recently, and had to laugh at the so called "agents" telling folks what it will take to fix their computers.

So look at CraigsList, Indeed or other sites. Stop in to the mom&pop stores and see if you can get something for the late afternoons and/or weekends. Check volunteermatch.com and do a search for IT positions. I have seen several late day and weekend volunteer positions. Some of those who turn in to full time positions, or give you a lead on possible full time positions.
  • Options
    Craigslist ftw!!! I've found my last 3 jobs on craigslist including both of my international traveling jobs!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    webgeek wrote: »
    Craigslist ftw!!! I've found my last 3 jobs on craigslist including both of my international traveling jobs!

could you expand on the international traveling job? very interested
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    I've been to 48 states multiple times (Montana and Iowa are my 2 left) and been to Japan, Guam, Korea, Turkey, UK, and much more to list. It was for a government contractor and they are based in Orlando...I miss it but my wife is very happy I'm home. I miss all the travel, experiences, and being called by my last name when I would be in 1st class on Delta as I cleared them out of all the free liquor you get!
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't stand BB recommendations on brands. The other day I was monitor shopping there and overheard the guy tell the woman stay away from acer laptops since everything they make is garbage nothing lasts. I wanted to chime in and say the acer laptop I got 3 yrs ago for a great price still looks and operates brand new I would buy an acer product again. Half of these sales guys don't know what there talking about.

I remember one time I was projector shopping at BHphoto in ny and the guy supposed to be an expert in projectors. I wasn't sure to go the 720p or 1080p route I made the trip out there to have him sell me why it was better to get a 1080p projector but he didn't know what he was talking about. I had to educate him on how resolution works. He said wow you should work here.

If you want to look for a part time try and apply at the local pc shops it won't be much $ but you'll be at a pc tech level and you could prob make it work around your schedule. Taylor your resume for the job because if you sound overqualified they'll think you are and won't give you the job. Happened to me when I was getting desperate and had an interview for a part time at a pc shop he said I'm way overqualified even without experience I had on my resume had that I know AD, server 03, 08, etc. The guy was offering $8.50/hr but he said in all honesty he's looking for a college student looking for some pocket money that has an interest in computers. I wanted to leave the second he mentioned $8.50 but gave him the courtesy to finish what he was saying.

If you do find a job stay for a few months get some microsoft certs and start looking for a help desk job.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Obviously I don't know your personality, but make sure that you aren't cocky during the interview. I have worked with people that have been so arrogant that people just don't want to work around them. Not saying that you're like that, but just throwing it out there.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    trust me...they did you a favor...you dont want to work @ Best Buy...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    Lol the way you all are bashing best buy making me feel better about rejection and im going to try to keep looking or might just have to wait til summer.
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Not all stores are the same. I worked there and it wasn't bad. The agent that were working with me were very experienced and help teach me the stuff I need to kno to get my over paid helpdesk job.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    trust me...they did you a favor...you dont want to work @ Best Buy...

^^^^^
    Truth
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    try your hardest to gather some classes at 4-5pm next semester.
    95% of IT jobs ive looked at are full time and within normal business hours. Nobody wants to hire a support guy if he's gonna be gone 1-2 days a week.

I've always taken evening classes. It's helped me find solid work as well as a solid classroom environment. Most of the students are adults or focused working individuals who do not BS. No more 17-18 year olds during day classes.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dang webgeek.. wonder what experience and schooling you had to land that job.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha, when I was a teenager I applied during one of their mass hirings before the holidays. Long story short I couldn't sell the manager an old Swingline stapler. I still laugh about that to this day. I still think it would have been a good job for when I was 17, but I'm a geek, not a salesperson icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I enjoyed my time at BB, i got some great discounts for my family on computers, TV's and a washer.
  • Options
    snunez889 wrote: »
    dang webgeek.. wonder what experience and schooling you had to land that job.

Just the typical IT jobs...nothing special...just lucky I guess

I've been told that since I have "traveling experience" that I would know the process. I said "sure" lol