Options

Really apprehensive about taking new position

brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
I have been in this location for two and a half years. There is really nothing much to learn here. I could stay here until I retire, which is only a few years away, but I have the opportunity to move into a much more challenging position. It will require relocation, but I'm not opposed to that. Afterall, I relocated for this position. I am used to staying put. Don't like change. I'm hoping I am not getting into something that is over my head. The new position is total Red Hat. I've worked RH before, but since I have been here, it has been totally Solaris 10. I don't have a lot of trouble switching. Presently, I am only responsible for 20 server, but a huge population of users. The new job is 150 workstations and server and there will be four SAs. I guess I will take the offer. They are asking me what I want in terms of salary. I was out of work for a long time before I took this position, and ended up taking a big cut in pay. I've told them what I'm currently making, and what I was making before. They want a figure from me, so I'm thinking about asking that my salary be restored. There will be no relocation benefits for this new job. Currently my 401K is matched to 6% and I am immediately 100% vested, so that is something else to think about. Not many companies offer that.

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    If you are kind of ambivalent to the offer (as you appear to be) then, you should ask for enough money that if they agree, the decision is made for you.

Ask for what you really want, which is probably even more than that you used to make.

Besides, if they walk away from the table, no big loss, as you already said that you're perfectly happy right where you are.

Also, the 401K match may not be such a big deal unless the difference in pay isn't great enough to make up the difference you would have to save on your own.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)