Options

Post experiences about Capitol College

As of right now, I believe to have narrowed down my decision on graduate school to Capitol College. However, I do want that extra push from you all, who are much more experienced and educated than I am.

Basically, I want to hear the opinion (good/bad/ugly) of those of you who have gone to Capitol College, and your experiences with the school and their programs.

Thanks in advance for all of your help! icon6.png

Comments

• Options
    CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Greetings....

I graduated from Capitol College in 2010 with a masters in Information Assurance. I liked it because I was looking for an online school where I wouldn't feel as big of a disconnected from the professor and my classmates. I liked that Capitol had live courses so I was able to in the class, ask questions, hear other students comments/questions, etc. Like most schools, some classes I felt were a waste and I really didn't get much out of them and other classes I felt were great and I really learned alot. I don't really have anything negative to say about the school or the IA program. I live in the area so whenever I had to go to the school for anything, the staff was always friendly and helpful.

The professors were all experts in their fields...some even gave out their numbers to call them personally if you ever had a question. They all were willing to work with and understand that some of the students had full time jobs, were parents, and had other responsibilities so if you ever had an issue, as long as you communicated it, they were all willing to work with you.

Overall...I thought it was a good program, I was able to finish it in two years. It was more of an applied type of program instead of theoretical so the classes were more hands on with labs and projects instead of just a bunch of papers. Not sure what program you are doing but if you have any questions...let me know.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    CodeBlue,

Thank you for your input. I am actually looking at the MS in IA, since my ultimate goal is to work in InfoSec. I recently graduated with a Bachelor's from an online university, so I understand the work and effort that must be put in. I really do like the live classes. That will allow me to get more from the class then just reading a book, and just doing online discussion board questions. I am currently working full-time, and raising a family, so it is great to hear that the professors will be willing to work with me on my schedule.

Have you noticed a difference in your career since graduating? For example: higher pay, distinction from peers, different job opportunities, etc?
  • Options
    CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my current role, I did receive about a $15K pay increase when I started this new job a little over a year ago though I am a network engineer so security isn't really my primary job function other than firewall administration.

Although I am not at the moment job hunting, I do from time to time receive emails and calls from head hunters for security admin positions. I figure that is due to my resume showing a masters as well as a few security certificates from Capitol as well.

I don't know if the curriculum has changed since I graduated but I remember if you take all IA courses, even for your electives, you'll get a degree, 3 graduate certificates, as well as a certificate saying you completed a program with NSA/DHS "stamp of approval" on it. I figured 5 sheets of paper instead of 2 just looked better. Something you can look into if you are interested.

So long story short...it has, at the very least, made me much more marketable. I was never getting calls like this before. :D
  • Options
    That's awesome to hear. Thanks for sharing your story, and congratulations on all your success so far. That information is exactly what I needed to know. I am also currently a Network Engineer, and while I do love what I do, I have always wanted to get into Security, and believe that an MSIA will get me to where I want to go.

Thanks again for your input.

Also, not to downplay what CodeBlue has told me (because it was very informative, and on the money) but does anybody else have any experience (good/bad) with Capitol College?
  • Options
    TripleHexTripleHex Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    puertorico1985: I was wondering if you had any updates on if you like Capitol College so far? I am thinking of attending in August.

Thanks
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TripleHex wrote: »
    puertorico1985: I was wondering if you had any updates on if you like Capitol College so far? I am thinking of attending in August.

Thanks

I am interested as well on any input as well. I am deciding on whether to choose WGU or Capitol for a graduate degree in information assurance. I like WGU's degree for it's nice low tuition cost and a motivation paced program. Capitol's degree may cost a little over $20k, but it also comes offers great add-ons to my resume: NSA/DHS certificate, a graduate certificate in information assurance administration, a graduate certificate network protection, and one in security management.

I've constantly reviewed the courses for each of the degree requirements and have not made a decision as I am getting closer to attaining my undergrad. The scholarship opportunity for Capitol looks nice as well. Would anyone else have anything to contribute between the two? Would either be more renown or advantageous than the other?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    Malita215Malita215 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doyen wrote: »
    I am interested as well on any input as well. I am deciding on whether to choose WGU or Capitol for a graduate degree in information assurance. I like WGU's degree for it's nice low tuition cost and a motivation paced program. Capitol's degree may cost a little over $20k, but it also comes offers great add-ons to my resume: NSA/DHS certificate, a graduate certificate in information assurance administration, a graduate certificate network protection, and one in security management.

I've constantly reviewed the courses for each of the degree requirements and have not made a decision as I am getting closer to attaining my undergrad. The scholarship opportunity for Capitol looks nice as well. Would anyone else have anything to contribute between the two? Would either be more renown or advantageous than the other?

After being torn between getting certifications and getting my Master's degree, I recently decided to attend Capitol for their Master's in IA (I still plan to get certs)icon_study.gif. The deciding factor was the live online classes. They use Adobe Connect for their online classes. And if for some reason you log on late or don't make it to class at all, each class is recorded.

For some reason, WGU format just wasn't for me. I prefer having a teacher. Other schools degree requirements required 40 or more credits. UMUC was also top of the list because of their dual degree program. However, it would take me 3 yrs and I did not want to stretch it out that long. Or, 2 yrs for the 1 degree. Also, each of their classes was 6 credits and you could only take 1 per semester.

Anyway, the application process was real simple sent in official transcript for full acceptance. I already have my login credentials for online portal and webmail. I'm registered to start classes this summer, April 28th for Summer 1 and I cant wait.
    Master's in Cyber & Information Security | B.S. Information Technology: Information Security
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply. Would you or anybody know if they still offer 10% discount on tuition if you are a IEEE member? A student membership is $32. 10% of the tuition would be $57. $512 per credit hour isn't bad at all for the 36 credit course. That is a savings of a little over $2000 if they still offer the discount.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    I'm back to chime in...

As you may already know, I have been attending Capitol College for the MSIA program since April of 2013. I am set to graduate this December, and only have 4 classes remaining (after this term). I can say that my experience has been great so far, and that the classes are full of knowledgeable professors who are all experts in their fields. The class format is live online, meaning that you actually get to sit down and interact with the professor and students live on a weekly basis. As CodeBlue said above, some of the classes are not really that useful, and seem to be a waste, but there is always something that can be taken away from each class. My only problem with the classes is that they seem to be too short, and there have been times where we have not been able to dive deeply into one subject material before going on to the next. Other than that small gripe, I am extremely satisfied with the program so far. My undergrad came from a school where there was virtually no teacher interaction, and we were left to fend for ourselves. Capitol is a nice change (for me) in that I get to interact with the professors, and the classes are more technical and labs, instead of just writing papers all day. All classes that I have taken so far include technical projects where you work with tools and software that you would use in the real world.

Thank you to all who have seen this forum, and I hope that it is helpful for those trying to make a decision about grad school.
  • Options
    I would like to thank all of you for your input and experiences. Is Capitol still handing out the graduate certificates along with the degree? Would you consider them of any value? I've also read that there class are live online, so when do the classes meet each week and for how long? I wanted to see if it was possible to work full time while attending or if I need to adjust my schedule to be "present" for class.
  • Options
    Malita215Malita215 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like to thank all of you for your input and experiences. Is Capitol still handing out the graduate certificates along with the degree? Would you consider them of any value? I've also read that there class are live online, so when do the classes meet each week and for how long? I wanted to see if it was possible to work full time while attending or if I need to adjust my schedule to be "present" for class.

I cant answer the question regarding the grad certs along with the degree. But the classes meet once a week for what I see is 3hr 15 mins. I'm registered for a Mon class that starts at 7:30-10:45pm and a Thurs class from 7-10:15. I'm not sure if you seen my previous post, but during the information session/open house online, they mentioned that the classes are recorded as well.
    Master's in Cyber & Information Security | B.S. Information Technology: Information Security
  • Options
    jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently enrolled in the Doctor of Science in Information Assurance program @ Capitol. Like other programs, there have been some great classes and some useless classes. Overall I would recommend Capitol to others, they are doing some really cool things around Cyber Security including setting up more on premise labs where you can actually battle it out. If you live in the area I recommend checking the campus out, it is small but lots going on.
  • Options
    So the class meets for once a week for over 3 hours. Then I imagine that I should be taking more than two classes a term or is the one class work material load justify just taking a class or two per term? I was also looking into their Doctor of Science degree after I get my Masters and some experience in the field. If I am not near the area, how will that affect me (other than residency) in learning since I won't have access to the labs? Thanks for your outlook on the program.
  • Options
    Classes meet once a week, and last 3 hrs and 15 mins. Some professors don't go as long, while others exceed their time (rare but has happened to me twice so far). I work full time, and I am currently enrolled in two classes. I have one class that meets on Mondays, and another that meets on Wednesdays. I feel that I am OK with just two classes. I feel that I could perhaps squeeze one more class in, but then I would have to dedicate even more time to school than I already do. So as to how many classes you take at a time depends on your other responsibilities, and how much you want to study and lab each week. Working full time and two classes should be doable for you, as it is for me. I do not live in the Capitol area, so I am not able to use their facilities for all the fun cyber stuff, but the classes provide enough material and they make it part of class to do some cool things, such as bypass phone screen locks and search hard drives using a forensics tool kit on a make believe case. These are just some examples of some of the labs that I have done so far. Very cool stuff.
  • Options
    Thank you puertorico1985 for the information. I can see that with a full time job, how 2 classes can be a manageable focus. I wouldn’t want to overdo it with studying for too many courses and I would want to take advantage of the labs. I do like how they schedule classes in the evening, allow you to work your full time job, but do they also schedule classes in the morning? How are the class size with an online class? jfitzg, is the Doctor of Science similar in class structure and scheduling? How do you feel about the dissertation process and working with instructors?
  • Options
    I have not seen any classes during the morning for my online program. I live on the East Coast, and have seen classes start at ~7 for those of us on this side, but have also seen classes start at ~11, which I'm assuming is for those on the West Coast. Class sizes really depend on the class, but average is around 15. I have had classes where there have been 25, and others with only 8.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply puertorico1985. It seems like an intriguing concept to have live class online instead of the standard "watch the video presentation" of a class. Is the online learning interactive or are you just watching a live stream of the class? If it is interactive, is it like a video chat, post on a live feed, etc.? I am sure that attendance is weighted high since the class meets once a week. How is attendance taken? It is based on participation/attendance with the online class, discussion boards, assignments, etc.? Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate that you have taken the time to answer my previous questions.
  • Options
    The online classes are live presentations with plenty of interaction with the professor and the students. The students have the ability to chat with the professor and students, can use the mic to speak, and raise their virtual hand (even give a check or red 'X'). The professor is directly interacting with students throughout the sessions. Attendance depends on the professor. Some care if you are there, and if you miss class, they require you to watch the recording, and have you send them keywords to ensure you watched the recording. Other professors do not much care if you attend or not. Most professors do keep up with attendance and deduct points if you do not attend. One example I have encountered is that you are awarded full attendance points if you attend lice session, half attendance points given for watching the recording and sending keywords, and no points for not watching the recording and not attending. This is an example that some professors have used. Most of my classes so far have not used online Discussion Boards.

Don' worry about asking questions. That's why this website/forum is here. Just glad that I can help.
  • Options
    jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you puertorico1985 for the information. I can see that with a full time job, how 2 classes can be a manageable focus. I wouldn’t want to overdo it with studying for too many courses and I would want to take advantage of the labs. I do like how they schedule classes in the evening, allow you to work your full time job, but do they also schedule classes in the morning? How are the class size with an online class? jfitzg, is the Doctor of Science similar in class structure and scheduling? How do you feel about the dissertation process and working with instructors?

The doctor of science is similar in class structure and scheduling, however, it also requires residency (spending time on campus) which is not optional. I actually have one person in my cohort who is over in Japan right now, he will be flying to the US for our residency next month. Also, its important to note that a bulk of the classes are geared toward research, not IA education. It is expected that if you get into the program that you are already an expert in the field, so aside from electives there is very little IA education. I dont recommend getting your doctorate for several years, IMO it wont help you in your job search and may hurt you. I am simply getting it to teach graduate classes on the side for additional income, I do not mention anything about it on my resume nor do I bring it up in interviews unless I am directly asked if I am currently in school.
  • Options
    Thank you for the insight on the online class structure and attendance puetorico1985. When you graduate in December (which is the same time I will finish my undergrad), let me know if they grant you those graduation certificates along with your degree. I was considering getting two of those certificates, but I might as well just finish up with the degree since that would be the work of just one more certificate & a few more courses.

jfitzg, I noticed that the curriculum were focused more towards research and was wondering about IA teaching. Thank you for clarifying that for me. How do you feel about Capitol’s degrees towards teaching? I know that a Doctor of Science and Doctor of Philosophy are equivalents in the US, but online colleges usually viewed as “less equivalent” to Brick & Mortar schools. How do you feel about the “name brand” of Capitol College in the field? Its not renown, but it is also not infamous.

How do either of you feel about Capitol considering itself a college instead of a university mean anything towards the Capitol name brand?
  • Options
    I am almost 100% sure that those extra certifications are given at time of graduation, but I can definitely chime back in when I graduate. About the name, I do not believe it has any impact whatsoever. I live in GA and I can say that virtually no one (that I know) has heard about Capitol College here, but if I were in MD/DC/VA I would say the College has atleadt been heard of. Going to CC is a conscious decision. I plan to one day work in DC for the gov't and having a school that is close to there can only help (I hope).
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for all the info guys it has been eye opening!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I agree that this is very good information. I am quite appreciative that students are answering the questions and sharing their experiences. I found a YouTube video that shows an example of Capitol College Online Courses. What are the career outlooks for a degree in Information Assurance? Are they mainly for jobs that deal with digital forensics, risk/compliance, or disaster recovery? I guess what I am asking: is this degree for system security analysts, forensic investigator, etc.? It may sound like a silly question to ask, but I wanted to know what to search under in indeed.com so I can see the job outlook around my area, certifications to strive for (besides CISSP, CISA, & GSEC), and other qualifications to focus on.
  • Options
    The MSIA program at Capitol College touches on all ten domains of the CISSP, and according to their website, you should be able to take and pass the CISSP after graduation.

The domains can be found here: https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx

With that said, you should be able to find a job in any one of those domains whether it be Crypto, Forensics, NetSecurity, etc. Of course, your past experience will determine the jobs that you qualify for, but the program teaches almost all areas of Information Assurance. This program will give you the fundamentals, and it's up to you to dig deeper in the areas that you find most interesting. Under Indeed, I am not quite sure what to look for. If you are new to InfoSec, perhaps start with Junior Information Assurance, Junior InfoSec among others. I have learned many new things with this program such as Malware, PenTesting, NetSec, Physcial Security, IP Law, Crypto, Mobile Sec, Forensics and I still have a few more classes to take. I believe that the point of this program is to give you a broad overview of Information Assurance, and it will be up to you to hone your skills and figure out exactly what you want to do. I say all that to let you know that the program does not limit you to specific jobs or job titles.
  • Options
    Puertorico1985, I saw on an older post that you made that you were in the same boat as I am now considering either WGU or Capitol for my graduate degree in information assurance. In the end, you decided to settle with Capitol. I know there is a great difference in cost, but I would like to know what reasons ultimately let you choose one over the other a year ago?
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Remember one thing about degrees, your ROI. If you are spending 40k + on a masters and already have a lot of debt the way it is then you need to rethink your plan. IA degree's are good but overrated imo. Comp Science & Engineering degrees are the way to go.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Puertorico1985, thank you very much for all the info on Capital. It has been a huge help for me in my list of options for grad school. Did you apply for the government scholarship? Do you know anything about the IEEE discount by chance?

EDIT: Found this on IEEE: https://www.capitol-college.edu/ieee-discount-program
  • Options
    higherho wrote: »
    Remember one thing about degrees, your ROI. If you are spending 40k + on a masters and already have a lot of debt the way it is then you need to rethink your plan. IA degree's are good but overrated imo. Comp Science & Engineering degrees are the way to go.

The graduate degree would be under $21,000 or under $19,000 with the IEEE discount. It seems like a great deal for me since I would get the knowledge, a degree, graduate certificates, and an approved program certificate. I thought about the Computer Science route, however, they have courses that I am not interested like Java programing, databases, and software development. For me, it would also require that I would have to pay to take around 4 fundamental course to my tuition, which is about 7,000 more. I view the standard (not a specialized concentration) computer science degree as a fundamental "jack of all trades, but master of none" type of degree. It can be used to get you into the doors of a company and then they would specialize you from there probably through on the job application and maybe certifications. That would be great for an undergrad, but I feel that graduate degrees need to be more specialized towards a certain career path for more in-depth knowledge like cybersecurity/assurance, forensics, programming/software development, networking, etc. Does anyone agree or disagree with this outlook? Most jobs in IT can be acquired with an IT undergrad degree with certifications that show a specialization. A graduate degree in a specialization shows an interest that you chose to master.
    Devilry wrote: »

Thank you very much for finding that link! That definitely answered my question.
    Thank you for your reply. Would you or anybody know if they still offer 10% discount on tuition if you are a IEEE member? A student membership is $32. 10% of the tuition would be $57. $512 per credit hour isn't bad at all for the 36 credit course. That is a savings of a little over $2000 if they still offer the discount.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Doyen,

You're welcome for the link.

I agree with you about what you get out of the tuition rate. I think more realistically for most folks working and attending a graduate degree, they would be able to complete the MS @ WGU in 3 terms. That would run you $10k if attending WGU. You get a degree from a B&M school, masters, multiple certificates and the NSA stamp. Also from what I can tell - you get more hands on interaction.

Just my point of view, each path will work better for others.
  • Options
    That's true. It is all about time management and motivation. WGU would be great if you can apply that concept. If not, then B&M would be a good regulated structure.