Options

Experiences and more

So i recently just had a fit, been applying for jobs for ages, got a few replies but then got a schedule conflict cause something came up in school about not having enought credits blah blah blah

So I am 18 years old almost 19, I have my A+ and Network+, studying for CCNA just waiting on money so i can actually take exams... Thats something thats hard to come by lol. Where can i get expirence???

I live in a Mexican neighborhood all my local computer repair places involve something in speaking Spanish and i don't (there's only one). I didnt go there yet and ask but i will tomorrow. Do i ask if they were hiring first or do i just ask to volunteer? WHAT DO I SAY?

Where else can I get experiences, I want to get a job now or at-least get experiences so I can find a job. I will be getting some NOC/Network Administration experiences next year from school in there intern program, but that is pretty far away. I get pretty sad about how hard I have been working for everything but I feel like its all for nothing. I am constantly studying and learning, I even stop smoking pot for possible offers and drug test. ughhh everything is just so hard lately.

Comments

• Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're 18 or 19 right? My advice would be to focus on school. Get your bachelors and you'll see a lot more doors open up for you.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    broli720 wrote: »
    You're 18 or 19 right? My advice would be to focus on school. Get your bachelors and you'll see a lot more doors open up for you.

This. All your certifications are going to expire before you even start applying the concepts in those certifications.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    ...I even stop smoking pot for possible offers and drug test. ughhh everything is just so hard lately.

I'm struggling with it, but I will give you a pass since you are 18... But, seriously...you do yourself such a disservice stating stuff like that on public forums.

Life's hard? Seriously? As cliche as it sounds, you haven't even started life yet. I suggest you before you hit "Submit" on posts/threads, you walk away for 5-10min, then come back and make sure that's how you want to represent yourself.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'm going to have to disagree here and say you should continue looking for a way to get experience as well. How many people do we see get degrees then come here complaining about how they can't get anything but a very entry level job without experience...?

The intern program definitely sounds like something that would be of use, or it sounds like you may need to look a bit further away for entry level positions. I wouldn't expect to find one in your neighborhood. Pretty much every company needs first-level computer support these days so don't limit your search to just technology companies.
  • Options
    College is not just about getting a degree. It really is about shaping the way you think and solve problems. He's turining 19 so he's still young. Those people you see complaining are in the minority. You'd be hard pressed to see people who break six figures without a college degree. In this day and age it is really a requirement unless you want to be underpaid for your position for the duration of your professional career.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    broli720 wrote: »
    You'd be hard pressed to see people who break six figures without a college degree.

I agree that the OP should concentrate on school if possible at this time, but this statement isn't true. Plenty of people in this field make in the six figures easy without a degree. I'm not advising everyone to drop school, but earning in that range is not that difficult in this field degree or not. It just take a little time, effort and experience.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    It is possible like you said but I think we are getting to the point were young people in our age group (don't know how old you are) will need a degree. It's getting really competitive out there.
  • Options
    I'm 28 years young!
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    I was laanning on getting a job in the field and go to school part time 4 associates.
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    By all means continue to search for a job, as experience is paramount in this industry, but don't stop at an Associates degree. I made that mistake, and am finishing my 4 year degree at the moment, not necessarily because I want to, but because I NEED to. I am tired of having my resume round-filed, or not making it past the first cut due to the fact that I never finished a Bachelors degree.

At this point I tell everyone the same thing, that the A.S. might help get you your entry-level job, but the B.S. is what will take you the furthest.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Plenty of people in this field make in the six figures easy without a degree.

...easy?
  • Options
    I meant easily breaking the six figure mark, but it's also not that difficult of an accomplishment to achieve. Become an expert in an in demand technology and the pay comes. Just takes the effort.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    By all means continue to search for a job, as experience is paramount in this industry, but don't stop at an Associates degree. I made that mistake, and am finishing my 4 year degree at the moment, not necessarily because I want to, but because I NEED to. I am tired of having my resume round-filed, or not making it past the first cut due to the fact that I never finished a Bachelors degree.

At this point I tell everyone the same thing, that the A.S. might help get you your entry-level job, but the B.S. is what will take you the furthest.

This. If I can give one piece of advice to people who are in the position of just concentrating on school, this is it. I too am finishing my Bachelors at 31 years young and after having it consume my life for the past 3 years (already had AA too). All because when I was younger I got a (crappy at that) Associates and never kept going.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm in school right now. I started when I was 21, I'm turning 24 this summer. School was the best decision I've EVER made for myself. No amount of certifications could ever replace the work ethics and responsibilities college can give you. It prepares you socially, mentally and enters you into a different mindset. Sure, some classes are annoying, or they conflict, but college is meant to prepare you for the non-tech side of things you'll encounter. What school or program are you in?? Perhaps you can obtain an AA or AS as a halfway marker to put on your resume.

Word of advice, take evening classes next semester. It allows you to apply for full time jobs and internships which will give you your vital entry level experience. Most and I mean most IT jobs are within normal business hours and require you to support those who work 9-5 jobs, meaning youre needed within that time frame monday-friday.

Remember, youre going to want to work on the trifecta of DEGREE, EXPERIENCE, and CERTIFICATION. Work on all those evenly and you'll be rewarded nicely when you graduate with some nice qualifications. Dont let certs EVER be a substitute for a degree. No need to overboard on super advanced certs as of yet if youre not going to be given the opportunity to use the knowledge. It will fade away and your certs will be useless. If you do get to use the knowledge of advanced certs but no degree, good for you but you'll be hitting a glass ceiling as higher positions REQUIRE a bachelors. Employers dont care if you are super tech. They want someone with a proven track record(degree) of following instructions, following deadlines, assignments, team work, and the ability to communicate and convey nontech thoughts in a decent fashion.

As for the weed, go ahead smoke that ****. Youre young. But good luck studying high.. it gets much harder with IT cert studying.
    Also, never go to work high if you do get hired. I can spot that **** from a mile away.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree