Options

CCNA/CCNET Lab setup?

neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I just wanted to check what hardware I needed to assist me in completing ICND 1 and 2 routers and switches makes and models?

Thanks
Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I'm going to be quite honest with you. Don't even worry about a lab right now, Boson, PacketTracer and or GNS3 are more than enough for you right now to lab.

With that said, the argument will be you won't have physical hands on experience with the devices but at the CCENT/CCNA level I don't really see the major benefit.

It's going to boil down to personal preference.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I'm using Packet Tracer 5 for ICND1. PT is sufficient for ICND2 as well but if you want to put together a simple lab this is where would go about it. Hands on experience is always welcome. Try looking at certificationkits.com.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Have you searched? This has been covered sooo many times, if you want a physical lab then a couple 26xx routers and 2950 switches and you are good to go.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I'm going to be quite honest with you. Don't even worry about a lab right now, Boson, PacketTracer and or GNS3 are more than enough for you right now to lab.

With that said, the argument will be you won't have physical hands on experience with the devices but at the CCENT/CCNA level I don't really see the major benefit.

It's going to boil down to personal preference.

The biggest benefit to me when I started putting together a lab was the motivation. Before getting the lab I was slowly studying less and less every day. Once I combined studying the books with learning about the different Cisco equipment available (both lab equipment and stuff I can only dream about getting my hands on one day) my productivity has gone way up.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the tips and yes I will look at packet tracer and what not but does it beat having it all real in hands??

Does this look like a good deal if it stays at this price, how much is this stuff worth?

Cisco CCNA Training Lab | eBay
    Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It definitely helps to have some hands on so get a couple pieces of gear if you can. If you're fine using packet tracer or GNS3 for the bulk of your work, the real gear you buy doesn't even have to be good stuff, just stuff.

For the equipment listed, that's a good price so far. But generally we recommend piecing out the equipment yourself because there's a lot to be learned when it comes to different models of routers and switches as well as the addons such as WIC's that comes with the process.