Options

Bach of Comp Science or Bach of Math

antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am thinking about getting myself a university degree specific to "technology". I'm debating on whether I will get a computer science degree or consider a math degree. Are their any math grads out there who could clarify if a math degree has some value to the world of IT?

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not a math grad, but I work at a university. Honestly, if you want to do something technical I would go for the Comp Sci degree. I don't think I've seen any BS/BA in Mathematics that included programming. Where as, all the math you take for Comp Sci will usually get you at least a math minor or stay another year to get two bachelors. I had a friend who went to school for Mechanical Engineering. As he was about to graduate he noticed he was maybe four or six math courses from a bachelors in mathematics. He figured might as well stay another year and finish, now he has two Bachelors.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Grinch but you made me realize one thing: I'm already in IT and have nearly 15 years experience. I also have multiple certifications. I'm interested in something that would compliment this. I'll be doing this part time as I simply could not return to school at my ripe old age icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Petr Lapukhov has a Master's in Mathematics and he seems to be doing okay. If time and money were no object, I think getting an advanced math degree would be cool. Since they are objects, CompSci is sort of the standard. You'll get a lot of math along the way with that as well.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just do CS and minor in applied math if you really want to get some extra math in there. Most CS degrees come with discrete math and Calc 1 & 2 at a minimum, and a minor in math is usually only 2-3 extra classes.

A major in math is unlikely to include any tech-related classes and is only marginally attached to IT due to its relation to CS. As far as complimenting your experience in terms of resume value, I think CS is the easy choice. That is not to say a math major can't "make it" or anything to that effect, but math definitely doesn't have the same connotation as CS.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A math degree in IT would be comp sci you could also do a physics degree if you're looking to design processors etc.
    A bach of math is for future accountants/actuaries.

I suppose it would be interesting if I were looking for a director level hire but your resume would speak more than any degree.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I guess the question is what is your end goal? From my point of view the Comp Sci will give you programming along with math so you could easily be a business or a data analyst. Since you already have experience, you could just do the Mathematics and still be a business/data analyst, but the programming would be learned on your own.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    C.S. is a good option for anyone who wants a deeper level of involvement than just designing networks. It will show that you have the logic and mathematical skills to build computer systems from scratch, rather than just assemble hardware components. You would have no problem moving ahead in the computing industry with a C.S. degree.

You wouldn't necessarily be doing badly to get a Math degree. You would still have the logic, you just wouldn't have the hands-on experience.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I have a Bachelor's in Math.

Ironically, once thought as useless to me, it might become relevant if you have interest in quantitative and analytic positions in cybersecurity and business administration.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Either or, go with the one you enjoy the most.