Options

IT Support / Help Desk Manger

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello Board,

I just wanted to stop by and get your opinions on a IT Support/Help Desk Manager jobs. I currently have 12 years experience in IT(8 years where I work now) and looking to jump tracks from tech to management. Currently I am supervisor over a technical support department full of Linux and Windows administrators. When I got promoted to this position I didn't know what to expect, but I like leading the team and learning more about the management aspect of IT. The tech side of things are becoming not so motivating to me as they used to. But love the fact I get to be more involved in the aspects of the team and how the structure is.

Currently I am about 4 semesters away from getting my Business Management AAS (changed it from CIS to Business Management) then on to the BA in IT Management. I have just gotten my ITIL foundation 2 months ago. Soon after I got it, the senior manager and VP asked me and other guy (another manager) to help implement it. That's one of my projects now, and I love it.

My question is and I have heard that it would be possible to get a IT Support / Help Desk Manager position with my current years, experience and ITIL foundation cert, and that it's a good place to start the management track. To help move the process along, I have taken continuing education courses in Leadership, team building, conflict management, which has help tremendously. Is it possible to land one of these position with that I have now?

Thanks guys
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• Options
    No takers? icon_smile.gif
    Next up
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hard to say for sure, but it sounds to me like you've got a great background for IT management and leadership positions. The lack of a bachelor's degree will hurt, but there should be positions that should be fine with it. Once you finish the bachelor's there won't be many barriers. An MBA would obviously help, but with your experience I don't think it will be a barrier or anything.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed. Your background and experience is a plus, but you'll probably need to finish your Bachelor's at a minimum to get very far in management. You might be able to land a position in that role without (maybe, depends on the company) but to progress past it you'd at least need a 4 year degree. May as well start now.
  • Options
    Thanks Big and ptilsen. Yeah my next move is to see how far I have to go before finishing my AAS before I decided to make the move to WGU. If I can finish the AAS within this year, I will just stay and finish. If not, I will go ahead and register for my BA in IT Management at WGU and transfer what I have.

Great advice. I needed to hear that.
    Next up