Options

VA wants to get on Government job, anyone with similar experience?

TKKJLTKKJL Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
My huband was in the Navy for 12 years and medically discharged which was 10 years ago. He held the highest security clearance being working with N S A at a overseas military base for 3 years. Unfortunately the clearance expired when he got out of the Navy. He didn't think to pursue Clearance jobs in DC or MD area since he wanted to be closer to his folks down south and he did applied for govt. contractor companies in the local areas but nothing happened. Currently he is working as a Network Analyst in local municipalities but his work is more like technician where there is no chance of advancement (not to mention the work place is under-manned with low salary, no overtime, etc).
He has been applying for Federal government jobs for a few years but we haven't heard any feedback after applying. Most clearance jobs require current clearance so he couldn't apply for many even though he had most the experience in the requirement.
We are anxious to move, possibly to across the country to the west (CA) or even overseas (being in the military, we have urge to move every 2-3 years lol.
With this, how can we find a job that can transition into government sector? Anyone similar situation and finally got hired in government agency?
I'm from Korea and we would love to go back and live there a few years. We are also open to worldwide employment.
I'm new to the forum and didn't see the option to add signature in my profile.
Dh (Dear Husband -- I'm from ladies forums lol) did get a BA in Computer Information System Mgmt along with 20 years of experience in IT system networks. He is now planning on getting some certifications.
Would love to hear any experience, advice, tips from you all pros here.
A lot to read and I love hearing success stories.

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My first question is what is a DH. Do you mean dad? Or designated hitter?

The best thing I can tell you about the government is it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Stay persistent, keep applying for jobs. Maybe start out as a contractor to get your foot in the GS door, which is something many have done.

Also, in regards to a clearance, if an organization wants you bad enough, they'll pay the $$$ for the investigation.
  • Options
    TKKJLTKKJL Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, it is from dear husband. Other forums' acronym.
    My first question is what is a DH. Do you mean dad? Or designated hitter?

The best thing I can tell you about the government is it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Stay persistent, keep applying for jobs. Maybe start out as a contractor to get your foot in the GS door, which is something many have done.

Also, in regards to a clearance, if an organization wants you bad enough, they'll pay the $$$ for the investigation.