Options

Extremely Frustrated

Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
I have been applying applying and more applying. I have spoken to numerous recruiter's and they are all full of it. Same thing..."looks great and we will get you taken care of" only to not hear back ever again. I update my resume on all of the usual job boards DAILY; still no hits. I will move anywhere in the US at my own expense, still no response. I have a BS in an IT major with a few basic level certs to go along with it, but still nothing.

I am tired of applying for positions and not hearing anything back. Not even the basic "we have chosen another candidate" response. I have a govt high level security clearance so I figured that may help, but nope. I think those job boards are just re-posting the same position over and over on some type of rotation; hell who knows. I have signed up with all the special "get noticed more" BS, but here's some advice...save your money. I've applied via LI, boards, even had a friend recommend me to a recruiter.

I'm not a expert by any means, but it's frustrating to see people who don't know half of what I do and getting offers. I can't even get a call for a interview for a help desk tier 1 job. I've posted my resume and made the necessary adjustments. I apologize, but times are hard and I have a family to support. I feel as though I've wasted time and money with the degree/certs...

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm kind of in the same situation as you are in, but I haven't made as much noise as you did. Have you considered starting your own business? I plan to do workmarket.com or onforce.com. I plan to do them after I have exhausted many attempts on the job search, but I need to do more researches on them. I don't want to get screwed from disgruntled customers. There are others who have tried those here.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I replied this to another person with your same issue, i've been in your position before and yes times are hard now takes some time to get a job.

My response was:

The resume and getting a job is about marketing yourself if there are 100 techies around looking for a job you should make sure that your resume looks interesting even if you don't have experience, there must be something about you about your skills or previous experience that might help you to stand out. Probably in your previos jobs you learned a lot of things very quick and u were one of the best dealing with customers even if it was in kentucky or burger king but if you are applying for a phone support role or a sales rep for wallmart(to sell printers and computers) it won't hurt to make sure your resume reflects that, they have to make sure you are really good at that, that you are the best option.

Check your resume(post it here) you might have something that looks weird or the format of the document is not ok or is too long or too short or whatever but check it get a second and third opinion about your resume.

Everybody uses linkedin, monster, craiglist try to look for something else a different way go to the universities and check their ad boards, go to the supermarket and do the same, visit the recruiting agencies not just check their websites, meet people that might help you out, check all the companies facebook fan pages, talk to your friends, post it on facebook an old friend might reply back and say hey the it guys in my company have a vacancy send me your resume i'll forward it to HR.
    Apply for positions even if you think they don't fit your profile some companies(the hr departments) post a profile of a jack of all trades but they really need just a helpdesk guy and they anyways might consider your resume.

Keep pushing yourself, be positive, be patient. If others are working in IT, there si no reason for you to think you are not going to get a chance.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Success101 wrote: »
    I feel as though I've wasted time and money with the degree/certs...

I don't really know your work experience/age but the idea behind the degree and certs it to couple them with work experience to develop a resume. I have a very specific goal in mind for myself to develop over the next 3 years. I see people on this board who seem to have the mentality they should just spam technical certifications to make them a better candidate. That doesn't sound like a plan or agenda to me.

Is your work experience focused in an area?
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Success101- stay with it, I have been silently rooting for you in your job search. I truly think the trick is checking job sites every 3-5 days, and applying to any and all jobs which apply that have been posted in the last 3-5 days. You may end up re-applying to jobs unintentionally, but you won't miss any of the new postings. Bottom line is, once they find a qualified candidate, they'll likely hire them (although many will continue interviewing to some extent), so the sooner that you apply the better.

Also, for whatever it's worth, your words with regards to recruiters, not hearing back, etc, was me only about 8 months ago, so I totally understand..you'll catch a break, don't lose faith. If you want, shoot me a msg via PM since you're also in FL and if any openings come open I'll shoot them your way.
  • Options
    Also happened to me one that i applied for a position and they called me back 6 months later
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    When I apply for a job at a company, I asked around to see if I know anyone that works there, or if anyone that knows me knows anyone that works there. This has never gotten me a job, but it has gotten me interviews. I learned a long time ago in an entirely different field, when you get the interview, you are the only thing that stands in your way of getting the job.

The job market is rough in Florida, but overall the jobs appear to be out there, unfortunately even with you paying for your own relocation, many companies simply won't hire outside of their area. Look in the forums, see if anyone has their location set as Florida, ask your Mom's friends, neighbors, if you have the knowledge to back it up, the only piece you need is the interview.

Good luck!
  • Options
    phalxphalx Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It seems extremely area dependent. Don't forget that many jobs take several weeks to get in touch with you once they have your information. You may have companies reviewing your application right at the moment that you are going to be receiving a phone call or email from shortly. I wouldn't worry too much if you have a Bachelors degree and all your certs as long as you can show your abilities during the interview process.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    chmod wrote: »
    Also happened to me one that i applied for a position and they called me back 6 months later

This occurred to me once also, except it wasn't 6 months... it was 14 lol. I then had to refuse the offer; however, they called me 2 months later & since it was then convenient... I took it.

That was the best spontaneous (3-second) decision I ever made! :D

Edit:
    Honestly, that's the only spontaneous decision I ever made. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    where in FL are you??
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    show us your resume.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    show us your resume.

Yes, let's see the resume.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    oh man...this thread hits home right about now. I've been in the IT field for almost 6 years. I got let go from my old job in mid january. I've interviewed in person for at least 11 companies, and multiple rounds, including phone interviews, and i still havent had an offer. I know i'ma good candidate for all of these places that I've went to. A few of them, i didnt really want the position, but i still put my best foot forward, because you never know. A few companies filled the positions, while some others have re-listed the positions, and i've had recruiters call me about them, and other positions i've only had phone interviews for.

I was reading an interesting article last week about the hoops companies are making candidates jump thru. after reading the article, read the comments, its happening to a lot of us out there. The comments from HR & Execs on there seem to place the blame on us job-seekers instead of taking blame for wanting the "perfect" candidate. there is no perfect candidate, and if there was a person who had ALL the skills listed on the job descript, i would assume they would get bored of that position relatively quick since they're not gaining new skills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/business/economy/despite-job-vacancies-employers-shy-away-from-hiring.html
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Success101 wrote: »
    I have been applying applying and more applying. I have spoken to numerous recruiter's and they are all full of it. Same thing..."looks great and we will get you taken care of" only to not hear back ever again. I update my resume on all of the usual job boards DAILY; still no hits. I will move anywhere in the US at my own expense, still no response. I have a BS in an IT major with a few basic level certs to go along with it, but still nothing.

It reminds this parody, a recruiter that i used to know(parody from gothie song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ba6Igu1MvE0