Options

Certification vs. MS at WGU questions, how to become a manager from a tech?

TKKJLTKKJL Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI,
My husband has a BA in Comp. Info. Mgmt Systems, 20 years of IT experience, with no certificiations yet. He would like to get into managerial position, move up from a technician as he is now. Also he is actively looking for a job in government, contractor or with a IT companies. With his situation, which would you recommend that he pursue first for his career move between Master's in IT or certifications?
How can a technician break through the barrier and move up for a managerial position? Has anyone done it? Master's degree and/or certifications? How can he get some entry level mgmt experience?

After reading posts here, WGU school struck as a great option if he were to further education to get Master's. Did I read somewhere that with WGU master's program, you can take certification exam or course all paid for by the tuition?? (I was excited and read through so quickly in one of the posts). What is refer a friend program?

How can a technician break through the barrier and move up for a managerial position? Master's degree and/or certifications? How can he get some entry level mgmt experience?

The husband is burnt out with his current job so he needs some motivation and encouragement.
Thank you for reading and any advice.

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    20 years of experience? I too have my eyes set on manager/director positions over pure tech work.

Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters. I'm going for two myself. God help me if I go further than that.

For someone with 20 years of experience certification is probably a waste of time if your eye is on management. I can't even count the amount of stories I hear people twice my age getting roadblocked due to not having advanced degrees.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    For management positions I would recommend getting a masters degree as well. Alternatively, and possibly additionally, the PMP certification is big in the management arena. I would recommend getting both.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Aldur wrote: »
    PMP certification is big in the management arena. I would recommend getting both.

Oh yes. PMP is money. Part of my long term goals too.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No wonder your husband is burnt out if he has been working in the same position for the last 10 years. I'd be surprised if no one in the company has considered promoting him to a tech lead, whereas he can still be involved with the technical implementations as well as managing the team. It's one step above technical-oriented role like help desk technician.

While getting a master is a viable option, it may not be a quick fix to his problem as your husband's goal is to move up to a managerial position. Attending WGU requires a lot of motivation and self-discipline. It's easier to fall behind without either one. To answer your questions regarding WGU: Yes, one of their Masters programs (MS in Information Security and Assurance) has four certifications as part of the degree program, which is included in the tuition. However, there is a catch. After the second attempt, you'd have to pay the exam fee out of your pocket for the subsequent attempts. The Refer-A-Friend program is for those who want to waive the application fee. We have a thread here where you can ask for referral. Many of us here will check there occasionally to waive whoever requests it.

Back to the point, I believe the quickest way for your husband to move up is to find a new job with a promotion. A lateral move to another company would be pointless regardless of the salary, because it's not the money that your husband is looking for. He can easily become a tech lead with his vast experience he currently specialized in.
  • Options
    Thank you all for replies so far, keep them coming...
    The husband came home now so I'm sharing the replies.
    He said PMP requires some managerial experience? He doesn't have much experience in that.
    His current job is under-manned, he is over-worked without over pay, on call all the time, no chance for promotion there (reason for leaving). He is intimidated by all these certification courses. He says he might need to go to bootcamp, pay chumps of money, etc. How did you all study for certifications? Is it doable with self study? Husband prefers going to a class or some type of course.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello- I'm going to take a much different viewpoint. Like your husband, I have been in IT for over 25 years. The difference is that I have been in a management or leadership position for over 20 years. I do not necessarily believe that spending money on certifications or taking classes at this juncture in his career will automatically provide a stepping stone to management or a leadership position.

It sounds like the issue is career disatisfaction. Perhaps it would be better to address the root issue first.

Whats exactly does your husband do now and what are his skills and traits?

I have a few more thoughts but I wanted to get out my initial thoughts while I am on my smartphone.
  • Options
    Paul, thank you.
    He was in supervisory position while in the military but now he manages computers for end users. Under-staffed, no chance for advancement and he can't seem to break free from this level. How can he get a managing experience when he can't get that chance at work or can't get a job into entry level management when he doesn't have current experience? I wonder if he should get a internship somewhere? (I don't know if they give internship opportunity to 40 something old guy with a family)?
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How long ago was he in the military where he was a supervisor? And what type of function did he supervise? His experience may be quite transferable to private sector.

It sounds like he is already actively seeking a new job. Any luck so far? Since he is already in IT, minimally, I would advise that he target job opportunities of similar skill level. Perhaps a senior-level or lead-level desktop support or system admin role.

Are you sure he really wants to go into management and not just out of the current job?

Also, forget about thought of internship. It sounds like there is enough real-world work experience already.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Can the OP please answer paul78's questions? We can't help you if you don't help us figure out where your husband stands in his career.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This may be a dumb question, but is there a reason you are asking instead of your husband? Does he even want to move to a managerial position? Does he like his current position? I know you want to help him, but until he is motivated, knows what he wants and is ready to help himself, these suggestions wont do much good.