Options

Resume Critique - Please advise

TeshTesh Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,
I've been applying for jobs for 2 weeks now, with no callbacks. I figured my resume was bad, so based on a few resumes posted on here, I totally re-did mine. Please let me know what you guys think. I'm basically aiming for a desktop support role, how are my chances in your opinion? also... I went to Devry University very briefly (3 months), but did not finish, so I did not add it under my education, I suppose that is the right move? here it is:
Tesh
address here
address here
800-555-5555
email@blah.com
SUMMARY
Reliable and highly motivated IT professional with successful experience providing desktop support. Excellent knowledge of diagnosing and troubleshooting hardware and software technical issues in a team environment or independently.
TECHNICAL SKILLS:

• Experienced in Windows XP, Vista, 7.
  • Experienced in OS installs, upgrades, migrations and data backup.
  • Excellent knowledge of building, repairing, troubleshooting computers and laptops.
  • Excellent troubleshooting and research skills.
  • Executed many home and small office network installations.
  • Intermediate network knowledge and troubleshooting tools such as: TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, NAT, PING, TRACERT, NSLOOKUP.
  • Demonstrated ability to provide user support by means of remote access tools.
  • Intermediate experience with Active Directory: creating users, groups, password resets.
  • Intermediate knowledge of many applications including: MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, malware removal, etc
Certifications:
CompTIA A+ April 9th 2012
CompTIA Network+ Febuary 2nd 2013

Education:
John Adams High School 1997-2001

Professional Experience:

Ultimate Health Outcomes Inc. March 2006 – November 2012

IT Assistant & Medica Billing
  • Provided IT support to employees which included: internet and printer connectiivity, password resets, and propierity software account resets.
  • Created new users, network mapping, permissions and shares to new employees.
  • Installed OS images, client software, upgrades and patches.
  • Performed hardware installs and upgrades.
  • Cleaned systems infected with malware, spyware and viruses.
  • Verify patient insurance, create and manage authorizations and referrals for services
  • Assist in company deposits, and company financial collections
  • Assist in patient collections
  • Provide customer service
  • Entered and billed patients into company’s billing software

Platinum Funding January 2005 – February 2006
IT Support
  • Researched and built 10 computers, in compliance to owner’s needs and budget.
  • Crimped and ran CAT-5 cables from each machine to a 24 port switch.
  • Created a peer to peer network; assigning permissions, shares, and network maps.
  • Installed a print server.
  • Provided tech support to staff and maintained the network.
  • Ordered office supplies when needed.

Apex Systems Inc. December 2004 – January 2005
Field service technician for Unisys inc. -Contract
  • Independently serviced computers at several locations throughout Manhattan, NY which consisted of private homes, companies and organizations such as New York University.
  • Directly ordered parts for customer’s computers (if needed) after performing diagnostics.

Apex Systems Inc. October 2004 – November 2004
Computer Technician – Contract

• Executed the Sky Chefs SOE (Standard Operating Environment) Infrastructure Refresh project, which is the replacement of all Desktop and Laptop PC’s with a standardized and secure WINXP platform computer for JFK and LGA international airports.
  • Pre-deployed new machines by loading operating system, installing security patches and required applications.
  • Migrated existing data from old pc to new pc via networked mapped drives.
  • Restored all local and networked printers, Microsoft Outlook Express mail and settings.
  • Assisted in switching users from old domain to new domain, and resetting their passwords.
  • Logged users into new domain, and gave a brief orientation of their PC and operating system.

Comments

• Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually very good, Just one thing add spacing to between Summary and Tech skills and Tech skills and Certifications.

Change "Excellent knowledge of building, repairing, troubleshooting computers and laptops." to "Excellent knowledge of building, repairing, troubleshooting Desktops and laptops."
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    With just a cursory glance, I would remove the Intermediate experience, do you have experience, have you only seen it in a training video, this would be my first question when looking at it. If you have experience, but just aren't really strong, don't sell yourself short, list it and make sure you are studying it and labbing it in the meantime before a technical interview.

I never took the Network+, but I would think that you would be experienced with "TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, NAT, PING, TRACERT, NSLOOKUP", after taking it, if you only read the book, it is time to put it into practice by doing.