Options

Entry-Level Job Search Dilemma

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
I just had my first-round phone interview with a network engineer from the NOC in the city today. This was for a full-time entry-level NOC technician position. The recruiter that contacted me about this found my resume somewhere and emailed me with the job description.So we scheduled my phone interview last Friday, which only left me a few days to review the CCNA topics. To be honest, I was kind of reluctant to get the position as I wasn't sure what to expect on the job, and my goal was to become a Linux admin eventually.

You'd be surprised how fast your knowledge fades if you don't put it to use. I wasn't sure if it's worth taking my time to brush up my knowledge and cram for an opportunity that may not work out. Because of this situation, I'm not sure if I need to avoid any NOC-related entry-level opportunity. Yet, I need to set my foot in the door somehow. The only good certs I have on my resume are my CCNA and CCNA Security. So far, I can't seem to get a helpdesk job interview, and I have not dealt with Windows much other than using it as my primary OS on my desktop. It's really hard to break in the Linux administration field without either experience. It seems to me that I have to put my Linux aspiration on hold and go aggressive in the CCNA game again until I can get my foot in the door. I was afraid I'd get pigeon-holed in the Cisco world pretty fast after I get in.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me set a realistic path I can take on. I am just not sure what to do now.

UPDATE: Just got an email saying that I did not get the position, which I really appreciated. I'd go mad if I had to wait a little longer to find out.

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you looking for a help desk job? Do you get any phone interviews for them?
  • Options
    fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We are in the same boat, man... I am also looking for an entry level job, and couldn't find any. It's been a year since I am CCNA, but since I didn't put into use, I forgot most of the knowledge I had learned. I was studying for RHCSA but it's hard for anyone to consider you for a systems administrator role without the proper experience. That's why I am refreshing my memory by reading the CCNA stuff and I am going to jump right into CCNP material once I am done so that I can jumpstart my career. I, too, was also interviewed for a NOC job and didn't get the job. I did terribly on the interview so next time I will be more aggressive and with more enthusiasm.

It would be awesome if I could find a job doing some unix system administration, but a network engineer will do too. If I could only find a job...
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • Options
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. First of all, I want to say I did have few short-term (internship, contracting) experiences. None of the job I had are help desk or NOC-related. My experience was pretty trivial in my opinion. The last job I had let me go last year. I haven't worked for a year, because I was avoiding employment until my surgery is complete. I got my cochlear implant (it's an "improved hearing aid") recently, which I hope increase my chances of securing my first full-time job permanently.

I am looking for entry-level employment that will lead me to a Linux admin path eventually. The only positions I can think of are help desk and NOC technician. However, many help desk jobs near me require deep Windows knowledge. The NOC job may be a little easier for me to get given my credentials. Yet, my knowledge is a bit rusty. I was not sure if I should pursue the NOC opportunities and forego my Linux goal temporary. My fear is that I can get pigeon-holed in the Network path.

From what I read in some threads here and the job descriptions on Craigslist, most Linux jobs are more likely to consider someone with help desk experience (he/she probably has Windows knowledge). I'm a bit frustrated here as it seems to me the only way I can become a Linux admin is if I go the MS route or the Cisco route first.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    In my opinion you're not going to land an entry level job that can transition into a Linux admin role. Too specific. You'll probably need to job switch into that later on. Linux administration is hot right now, so its a great goal. I need to brush up on the Linux/Unix shell myself.

It probably starts at the help desk to be honest. This is a general statement and may not entirely be accurate but my easier interviews have been at companies where IT isn't their business model. Its where soft skills and personality shine a bit more. Like higher education for example.

I know a little bit about that sector =P
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Keep your head up HK, you've got a solid list of degrees and certs so it will only be a matter of time!
  • Options
    Okay so if the help desk is the way to go, then... should I even bother trying to get the MS certs?

Like I said, the help desk jobs in the area are looking for entry-level candidates with MCTS, which is ridiculous in my opinion. I feel I have to be a generalist at first. No matter what I do. It's hard enough to keep all of my knowledge current if I have to go after the MCTS too.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The issue with entry level linux is it's not really used by end users so there isn't a need for linux helpdesk people. Most people have to be server administrators before getting their hands on some production linux. Most server administrators work their way up from helpdesk. So it seems as though that would be your logical route and get your hands in the servers as quickly as you can.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if my story will help but I moved from Help Desk (with no certs) to Linux systems administrator (with no linux experience). In between the phone interview and in person interview, I had dual booted with Ubuntu and got Apache and Drupal up and running. They really liked the initiative and saw potential so I was given the job.

Like I said before, you are fairly decorated as far as degrees and certs (not sure of your work experience) so I wouldn't see you not getting an entry-level position because you don't have an MCTS.
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Like I said before, you are fairly decorated as far as degrees and certs (not sure of your work experience) so I wouldn't see you not getting an entry-level position because you don't have an MCTS.

Wow. That's awesome. I like your story. I'm glad to hear there's a way to get a help desk job without the MS certs. Although, I don't know what the help desk job involves. What knowledge are they looking for in particular? I can just do a little research on them and find some images to play around with.
  • Options
    The main aspects to any good help desk technician/analyst involve good customer service, effective & efficient troubleshooting, and proper documentation.

The good customer service is somewhat obvious, but mainly how well do you communicate with others in a language they understand (which may involve technical to laymans translations on your part), are you able to keep people calm if they grow agitated without needing to hand them off to a supervisor, etc.

For effective and efficient troubleshooting, how good is your Google'ing? Can you parse 3-5 pages of results in under a minute to get the answer you need? Much of the legwork is on the fly so as you encounter new problems you should be able to troubleshoot without outside intervention (to an extent). It will be required to pick up on internal processes quickly and adapt that to daily issues.

As far as documentation, help desk is all about tickets! Your aim is to solve as many as possible as the first point of contact (POC) for the metric 'first point of contact resolution'. Managers are all about metrics and this, along with average resolution time, are two of their favorites. In addition, your ticketing system should serve as a knowledgebase of sorts so future one-offs can be aided by past experiences. Also, legit kb contributions are always helpful and can not only help others but help your worth in superiors eyes.

Note: After I typed this I realized you're probably asking about technical knowledge. Short answer is it varies immensely depending on what kind of shop you get with so it's hard to say if there's any baseline technical skillset...hence what I typed above icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Great response, lsud00d. I wish I can give you rep again, but I can't.

So, looks like I would have to go back to all of the job board sites I applied to and only accept help desk jobs (and maybe system admins if I'm lucky). I have been looking for both, but I realize NOC is not where I want to be anymore after I find network engineering a bit boring (no offense to you packet jocks icon_lol.gif) and expensive to keep up with. No wonder I didn't get the job. I was just worried that my CCNA is now useless and won't help me get help desk jobs. Although, I have the Network Warrior book, which give great refresher on the CCNA, but I haven't gotten back to it in a while. I should get back to it after the RHCSA if time permits.