Options

Questions on network engineering! (studying for Network+)

Li XingxianLi Xingxian Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Alright, time to ask you all some questions! (I’m hoping this forum is the proper place to do so)
As I said in my intro thread, these questions are gleaned from various practice multiple choice tests.

Of course, the answers in the test are provided, and sometimes I understand why, or I understand with some basic research (thanks to google.com).
But sometimes I don’t understand the answer. Hopefully someone can help me with one or more of these!
I was hoping to help answer anyone else with similar questions, but I did not see any on this forum.

1. After installing a server, an admin should UPDATE THE NETWORK DIAGRAM, before trying any of the following:
A) log admin password used,
B) test air temperature,
or
C) review evac procedures;
? I’m not sure why this is the answer and not any of the others. I didn’t come across this information when studying either documentation or servers. This question might be outdated and from the N004

2. A NIC capable of utilizing “auto-sense” for a given connection is actually configuring LINK SPEED and LINK DUPLEX on its own (not link latency... or MAC address or cable type);
? Is this information out of date? Wasn’t on any of my course’s info on switches...

3. Physical and logical network diagrams are used to IDENTIFY NETWORK DEVICES, not ‘track DHCP distribution’;
? I didn’t see this information in my studies on network diagrams.
Is there ever any reason for a tech to track what IP addresses a DHCP server may give? If so, what methods are commonly used?

4. If you want to separate the HR’s workstations from everyone else’s workstations, you should use VLAN, not subnetting (or P2P or VPN);
? Is the only major practical difference in Virtualization versus Subnetting that they are now on different ‘networks’ (because two items on different subnets are still on the same network)? If so, what are the downsides to putting two things on entirely different networks? And why not do this all the time?

5. HARDWARE Firewall handles keyword and blacklist filtering;
? Why not software firewalls? I tried to google ‘blacklist filtering’ and I just decided to post this question here instead

6. An Incorrect subnet mask entered in WAP configuration is a more likely explanation for what is going wrong with a new WAP (that users can connect to but cannot access the internet): as opposed to
A) “the signal strength has been degraded and packets are being lost”,

B) “the signal strength has been degraded and latency is increasing hop count”,
or
C) “users have specified the wrong encryption type and routes are being rejected”];
? not too sure why this is happening... I assume that if signal strength lowers then you can’t connect to the internet...
if users specify the wrong encryption type, are they going to be able to connect at all?;

7. ’High Availability’ is more important a concern for a growing business facing web spikes than
A) traffic shaping,
B) asset management,
or
C) caching];
? Doesn’t traffic shaping help facing increasing traffic spikes? Not sure why ‘high availability’ is selected above these others.

8. -When you have to mitigate shared bandwidth causing problems, choose TRAFFIC SHAPING over
A) load balancing,
B) caching engines, or
C) increased uptime];
? Wait, don’t any of the other three help? Is the reason here something practical like economic costs?;

9. -Traffic analysis is a better way to check to see if users are streaming video and music than
A) History Logs,
B) SNMP,
or
C) System Logs];
?Doesn’t SNMP monitor network traffic? Also, not sure what logs are used in this or other situations. ;

?I know that a time domain reflectometer diagnoses incorrect termination... but if
a CAT6 run supports network traffic, BUT can’t meet a TDR’s standards,
why couldn’t the answer be ‘improper grounding’ or ‘TXRX are reversed’?
?

?What device/program generates an output like this?
#show run interface GigabitEthernet0/10
Switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
Switchport mode trunk
Switchport trunk native VLAN 10

Thank you so much for your time!