Options

OSPF Default Originate

BobNakamuraBobNakamura Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I was doing some practice in setting up OSPF in a NBMA network, and when I want to propagate a default route (that has a exit interface instead of a next hop IP) across to other routers connected in the same broadcast domain, it doesn't work. Rather, if I use the next hop IP address, the route gets propagated to the other routers. Why is it like that?
Goals for 2013
- Get into a Computer Engineering program for university [✓]
- Earn my CCNA Certification [✓]
- Earn my CompTIA A+ Certification [ ]
And then I will decide what to do from there...

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It should still work either way. Are you sure you are generating the default route correctly when adding it to an exit interface? Does the local router show the route in the table?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Funny thing is that when I apply the default route to the router, it doesn't even show up on the routing table :/
    Goals for 2013
  • Options
    mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's why it isn't propagating, then! If the router you're adding it to doesn't have it then it sure isn't sending it out.

If you're just starting to work with OSPF make sure you didn't accidentally use a wildcard instead of a subnet mask when adding the route.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <interface> just worked for me and propagated through my OSPF lab.
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Funny thing is that when I apply the default route to the router, it doesn't even show up on the routing table :/

In that case you need to have an actual interface which would be assigned to that IP address of default route. Otherwise it won't show up in the routing table.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    Surprisingly enough, I re-did it and it worked. Haha looks like theres a glitch in Packet Tracer.

Thank you!
    Goals for 2013