Options

To Switch or Stay?

IT_NerdIT_Nerd Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone. I will try to keep this brief. I've been in helpdesk for 2 years now with the same company. I have learned a lot. I really enjoy where I'm at. I'm currently making 30k per year. I have a 2 year degree in computer networking and looking to get into security technology at some point. My dilemma is basically this. There is no opportunity to move up... at all. Is it advisable to start searching for something new? I like the sense of security where I'm at, but another place I may be interviewing with is starting 40k a year for a similar position with the possibility of switching roles eventually. I could use the extra salary too. Is 30k to 40k that big of a jump to be worth the risk though? Any input is much appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    So..
    1. There's no opportunity to move up
    2. You are comfortable, which probably means your job is easy in more or less words
    3. You are looking at a potential 33% raise

I think it's time to rattle some branches, take the plunge, and start building your resume! Don't ever look back and keep your eyes on the prize icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Yes.

Its better to take a risk with something new and move forward than settle into a pattern of comfortable mediocrity.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good is the enemy of great.

If you want to move up you have to move sooner or later. Two years is a good time to leave, it's long enough to show persistence and short enough to still be open for new ways and technologies.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Gotta jump when the opportunity strikes until you get where you want to be. Vertical growth is getting more and more rare in todays organizational structures so often to move up you have to move to a different company.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    a 10K raise to get. icon_smile.gif It's hard to find an current employer that will give you anything more 5k raise at once. Plus you have a room for advancement that is always. Are you looking to advance in the future? Everyone is different, at every place I've worked at there are always a few people that have been doing the thing for 10+ years with no intent on moving up/on.

Keep in mind moving up/on, taking new positions, and making more money will probably involve you working a little harder and learning new things. I'm not trying to scare you at all. I was in that situation years ago where I stayed somewhere for 4 years and a little nervous about moving on but it turned out to be the best thing I ever did. Yes it was more work and I had to learn a lot more but it was completely worth it for me.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good question, sometimes money isn't the best reason to leave a job. But you said yourself there is now room for moving up. Being Chanllenged and pushed into other area's of IT is what will make you a more knowledgeable IT person. Sounds like you have your answer right in front of you. Given the info you have laid out, your ready to go and just need a push. So I would push you if I could...
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    Thanks for all the recommendations! I think it is worth taking the risk now. When I was contracted at a different place, I worked with an IT partner that also found a different job when our contract ended. We started our new jobs the same time. He has already been promoted to a more technical field within his employment. We talked a bit and he really got me thinking. I've been at the same place doing the same thing with a 3% raise annually. I really do enjoy the environment and people here though. On the other hand, I know that staying where I'm at right now will more than likely not get me the opportunities I'm searching for.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say go for it, it seems like you need a new challenge and motivation, and you will have an opportunity to make more money, only you know when it's time to move on, and when you have that feeling you know when it's time...right now at my job I feel the same way, i'm tired of doing hardware/helpdesk, etc. there is no challenge, I am not being used to my full potential, and therefore I can't be the best I can be here, but maybe somewhere else I can be. Hope that makes sense lol.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    I thought I'd update this thread. I've been in the job market for 3 weeks now. After 2 phone interviews and one in person interview, I received a job offer I was satisfied with. It is a more technical related position and I will be starting at 45K a year. That's a 50% salary increase! I'm gonna miss the old place and the people, but this is definitely the opportunity I needed to keep the wheels on my career spinnin. Thanks for all the tips and support guys! I needed that kick in the rear to start searching.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    great news! congrats!
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TechExams Job Decision Tree

Should I Quit And Get Something Else? --> Yes
    |
    |
    Yes
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Great news IT_Nerd! Glad to see that you carpe diem'd icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great news. congrats! Its always hard leaving behind a company that you liked, but I am positive you have made the better move.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love techexams, always motivating me.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    IT_Nerd wrote: »
    I thought I'd update this thread. I've been in the job market for 3 weeks now. After 2 phone interviews and one in person interview, I received a job offer I was satisfied with. It is a more technical related position and I will be starting at 45K a year. That's a 50% salary increase! I'm gonna miss the old place and the people, but this is definitely the opportunity I needed to keep the wheels on my career spinnin. Thanks for all the tips and support guys! I needed that kick in the rear to start searching.

Congrats man!

It really sounds like me from a few years ago. I stayed somewhere for 4+ years, it was great I loved the people awesome environment but I had an offer to double my salary, I couldn't turn it down. It was tough saying goodbye but I still keep in touch with everyone, so it's like I never left.

In the long run, best move I ever made.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! It's gonna be a great learning experience. There is room for growth too! Some people were wondering about negotiating salary. Prior to interviewing for the job, I told the recruiters 40k was my expectation. After the 2 phone interviews I finally met my recruiter in person. She asked if the 40k was good and I said yes. I was a bit nervous to say otherwise because I came up with that figure to begin with. After reading through a few threads though, I figured it's worth a shot to at least negotiate. I did not want to sell myself short. I heard negotiating up is tough, but I still called the next day and said I changed my mind and wanted 46K. She said she would let me know after the weekend. After the in person interview I received a job offer and they said they can def work with that salary. I feel because of lack of experience I didn't go through the process correctly, but it still worked out in the end. Thanks for the wealth of info on this board! It's been of tremendous assistance.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Whats the job?
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How much exp, type of education and certs do you have? Just curious, and congrats on the new job and pay increase.
  • Options
    I would definitely consider it a support role. Based on what was said at the interview it seems a bit more dense than the support role I'm currently doing. It will mainly be troubleshooting network and software issues remotely. I can't say for sure yet though as I will be starting in another week or so and training is about 4 weeks. I have no certs and about 3 years of IT work exp and 5+ years of customer service exp. I have a 2 year degree in computer networking. I'm working towards certs at the moment.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats on the new job!Not often can you get a 50% salary increase.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.