Options

dte amd dce

useuseuseuse Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
can some one can diffrenciate n detail b/w DTE and DCE. i know a little about it just like that
dce combines two dte
while dte is source or dist

i donot more about it , does it exists physicaly ( connectors or cabling) or does it exist only logically (through ios commands)

1)
how can i cange a serial from dte to dce and from dce to dte.

2)
if i have two routers does one of these must be dce else it will not work
or it can communicate f both r dte?

tnx

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1) The serial cable is what decides which port is DCE and which is DTE, you can run this command to see what state your serial port is in.
    #show controllers s xx, where xx is the number of the serial port you wanna check.
    2) You must have one port DCE and one port DTE in order for the port to come up physically.On the DCE you must set a clock rate.

The reason for these clocking interfaces is to avoid synchronization slips.
    You should do a search on google and read up about wander and gitter in the context of data synchronization.In real life usual the end customers connect routers and devices to a core network which provides the clock i.e. the DCE side, the end user router will be setup as a DTE device terminating the clock.If this router has another router connected off another serial interface it would be configured as a DCE port so basically the clock is daisychained downstream from the core network.When passing through many devices the clock degragates so there is a rule of thumb of how many devices can actually be daisychained.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    A DCE device provides clocking for a DTE device. An examples of DTE devices are routers and computers while examples of DCE devices are modems and switches etc.
    When a computer is connected to the internet thru a modem the pc is a dte device while the modem is a DCE device interfacing between the DTE and the cloud(WWW). At the other end of the connection the line connects to another DCE device (modem) which acts as an interface to the remote computer.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Hard times on planet earth.