Security clearance process question

lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
Out of curiosity, for those that have gone through the process for a sponsored future employer (employment contingent upon obtaining clearance), have you had xyz agency contact your current employer since they would be listed as your last employer? Seems it could put a damper on the whole two weeks notification thing!

Comments

• Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I got my security clearance back in 2000, they contacted everyone, I mean everyone. Depend on what one you are getting, I'm not sure if you are allowed to discuss it or not. TS depending on the level can take upto a month, they went through my financials, school records, traffic courts, and friends and family. Good luck.
  • sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, they will check every employer on your list.
  • mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on the level of clearance you're looking for, really. A Secret isn't very invasive and may not contact anyone (mine didn't). But a TS or TS/SCI will absolutely be calling the people you put down. I've had 2 impromptu interviews in the last 2 years because of people using me as a reference on a TS and not telling me.
  • thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mdomino wrote: »
    It depends on the level of clearance you're looking for, really. A Secret isn't very invasive and may not contact anyone (mine didn't). But a TS or TS/SCI will absolutely be calling the people you put down.
    This is absolutely true. Not to mention, the time it takes from when you submit your paperwork to when you're fully adjudicated is somewhere in the range of 6 months. It could be months after they've interviewed your current employer before you hear anything back. Best of luck.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    mdomino wrote: »
    I've had 2 impromptu interviews in the last 2 years because of people using me as a reference on a TS and not telling me.

Thanks for your input and everyone else as well.

I rounded up a group of people and contacted them before hand to ask for voluntary participation, notified them of what they were listed as in the application, and then after the application was submitted to have a heads up...I can't believe someone would list you without notifying at all!
  • sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BTW I just assumed since you said "xyz agency" that you were going for a TS. Even if it's a secret, it's good to prepare for anything (which it sounds like you have).
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Thanks sigsoldier, I have prepared thoroughly to try and expedite the process.

Actually now that I think about it, I did have a former subordinate who listed me on their TS clearance application to work at the white house...I was given heads up by a colleague because they received a call that started with "Hello Jane Doe, this is John Doe with the FBI...". She was taken off-guard at first icon_lol.gif